Stupid question

Discussion in 'General Culinary School Discussions' started by chalkdust, Nov 28, 2018.

1. chalkdust

chalkdust

Exp:
    Line Cook
    If I want to cook west central south or east african, chinese, west Indian or south american, or for that matter Austrian Czechoslovakian Republic of Georgia Middle Eastern bohemian or Nordic stuff profesionally, do I need to go to cooking school?

2. Vjan

Vjan

Exp:
    Professional cook
    Do you mean you want to go there for cooking? Or cook foods from those locations?
    From my experience, going to school is mainly focused on French cooking (but that depends where you are taking the courses).

3. chalkdust

chalkdust

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Just cooking. Not saying emigrating isn't worth it. Thanks I thought some program somewhere in the state's might care about authentic food from elsewhere. I was raised on the joy of cooking and Julia child's French cooking and the frugal gourmet. Etc. I was raised to eat my own Austrian Nordic and Czech bohemian special foods as well as gormeh sabzi, dim sum, and keshmesh polo. Made some contacts and did my own research. Maybe too much research

4. Vjan

Vjan

Exp:
    Professional cook

Too much research is better than not doing any. At least in my opinion, looking at 3 articles or recipes gives you different perspectives than just 1.

Jonathan Press and dectra like this.
  5. sgsvirgil

sgsvirgil

Exp:
    Retired Owner/Operator
    No.

But, spending time in those cultures learning the various recipes, styles and techniques or, at the very least, being trained by a chef who knows these things is helpful.

dectra likes this.
  6. Pat Pat

Pat Pat

Exp:
    Chef Emeritus
    Cookbooks are your best friend.

With proper basic cooking skills, you can adapt to any cuisines quite easily.

Jonathan Press likes this.