Stuffed Scallops Technique?

Joined Feb 7, 2017
Hi. I'm going to stuff/infuse a diver king scallop with a firm sundried tomatoe puré. Which method for the task would you recomend?

Joined Apr 3, 2008
I actually don't know. But, diver scallops are such an expensive and precious ingredient to me, the thought of cutting into it seems unnecessary. Perfect can't be made better. Is there another way to incorporate your puree without compromising the integrity of the scallop?

Joined May 27, 2013
Perfection can't be made better, but can be made different. That's my smart ass, snarky response. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

I've never done this so you can stop reading here if you like, but you'd need to create an entry with a sharp knife (duh, right?), squeeze the sides to open the scallop, and inject the puree with a hypodermic or pastry bag. My concern would be it leaking out during cooking. I wonder if meat glue works for scallops. I know it's used for salmon. 

How were you planning on cooking them?

Joined Apr 3, 2008
I think it's risky to do, scallops are so flaky and tender that I would be afraid it would split. At best the purer might ooze out. They're not pliable when cooked.

Joined Aug 21, 2004
Originally Posted by jake t buds  

I wonder if meat glue works for scallops. I know it's used for salmon. 
Yes it does.

Cut a small incision in middle of top or bottom side of scallop. Insert the short side of a a small allen wrench until you are approximately in the middle of the scallop. Slowly turn the long end of the wrench in a 360' rotation in order to create a pocket.  Remove wrench.Pipe with puree. Use incision side for bottom side of served scallop.

Joined Dec 18, 2010
Larding needle and sun dried tomato strip (not puree), possibly?

Last edited:
Joined May 27, 2013
I actually don't know. But, diver scallops are such an expensive and precious ingredient to me, the thought of cutting into it seems unnecessary. Perfect can't be made better. Is there another way to incorporate your puree without compromising the integrity of the scallop?
I was thinking a more gentle cooking method than pan searing at high heat. Poached or in the oven - slow. Maybe sous vide. 

Joined Apr 3, 2008
I've never had scallops any other way than seared!  Mind blown /img/vbsmilies/smilies/laser.gif

So what does a poached scallop taste like and feel like?  Very interesting!

Joined Oct 31, 2012
For me, stuffed doesn't have to be taken literally. You can do "stuffed" scallops. Cut the scallop in half horizontally through the middle. Layer the scallop, bottom half, mixture/stuffing, top half.
Or you could be really extravagant and place one whole scallop first, carefully cover the top with "stuffing" and then put a second scallop on top.

Joined May 5, 2010

I was thinking a more gentle cooking method than pan searing at high heat. Poached or in the oven - slow. Maybe sous vide. 
Pan searing at high heat will cause the scallop to squeeze out the filling.

If you don't sear the scallop it will look rather bland and opaque.

I'm with chefwriters idea. You can sear the scallop and get a nice golden color, then slice, stuff and present.

Joined Feb 7, 2017
Thanx for all the interesting feedback on the subject.
The idea was not to improve the raw material but bringing flavors together.
Usually i don't cook scallops in other ways than pan frying on high heat in various context. Had some extra scallops and wanted to try some different techniques. Let you know if i have any success in the matter.

nicko

Founder of Cheftalk.com
Staff member
Joined Oct 5, 2001
@trettonhundra  I guess if I were to do that I would use a small slit in the side of the scallop and pipe the puree into the scallop gently with a fine tip on a pastry bag or small piping I would make from parchment. I would probably wrap the scallop in blanched leek just to hold the filling in while cooking and then remove after serving. This is different from what you are doing but years ago I worked for a chef that used round pastries cutters and we would cut a small round section from the middle of the scallop. We would then use the same cutter to cut a round piece out of salmon or tuna and then insert that into the middle of the scallop. It was a very cool effect the scallop with a salmon or tuna center. We would then serve it with a buerre blanc of some sort. One of my favorites was a sea urchin roe buerre blanc. 

If you come up with a technique you like would you mind posting some photos for us to see how you did it?

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
I have done this before.

Line a ramekin with plastic wrap.  Prepare your farce.  Slice your scallops.  Assemble.  Poach in court bouillion, the whole thing.  Allow to rest and cool in the court bouillion.

For service, you need to clean the edges if you want to serve most of it.  If you want a more perfect presentation you can trim it.

Rewarm gently in butter.

Joined Feb 7, 2017
@Nicko Good idea. Fillings with other subjects should absolutely also be tested. Thinking of a flavored cured salmon stem inserted that way you mentioned with a cutter.

About the tomato paste version, insert it from the side sounds most likely to keep the filling with minimal leakage during frying and still have the opportunity to get a caramelized surface of the protein.

I will most definitely post some images if i come up with some good results chef.

Joined Feb 7, 2017
@kuan Makes alot of sense. Got to try this one too. It seems that i will devote an entire day cooking scallops in various ways soon.

Latest posts

Top Bottom