Stuffed chicken necks

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by 100folds, Sep 24, 2005.

1. 100folds

100folds

How on earth would you stuff a chicken neck? This old French cook book I have has a recipe for stuffing chicken necks. Doesn't explain at all how you get those scrawny little necks full of goodness nor how it might be pleasant to pick out the bones. I just don't understand, anyone gots the answers. :confused:

2. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    My mother and grandmother made helzel, a sort of poor man's kishke, out of the skin from chicken necks. Mom sewed one opening with white cotton thread, filled it with the stuffing (flour or matzo meal, schmaltz, salt and pepper), then sewed the other end shut. She tucked them into a pot of braised chicken, down where they'd soak up some of the juices. We kids fought over them!

Factory-dressed chickens are unlikely to have enough neck skin to make it worth your while. Try a good butcher shop.

sheherazahde likes this.
  3. kate

kate

My grandmother did something similar; now, when I buy chicken breasts or thighs, I buy the kind with the skin on, and save the skin when I have cooked the meat.

Then, I stuff the skin with rice or quinoa or millet, the spices we're using that day, maybe some leftover cooked veggies, and occasionally fresh sausage, tie the ends with kitchen string, and simmer the rolls in homemade stock. Absolute comfort food!

sheherazahde likes this.
  4. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    You put a ring on the bottom of its neck and force feed it. The chicken will try to swallow but it obviously can't. When the neck gets fat enough you stop force feeding it. Then you chop off the head at the base of the neck and tie the end with a piece of butcher's twine. Save the rest of the chicken for roasting.

5. chefmikesworld

chefmikesworld

Kuan,

You kill me with your culinary expertise :))
    We would have a great time working together...

Cheffy

6. 100folds

100folds

That's great Kuan, you may have opened a whole new way of looking at stuffed meats. We could do stuffed beef neck, stuff quail neck but why stop there. Stuffed ostrich's neck, that's the ticket. We'll make millions :bounce:

7. markv

markv

I'd hate to have to make the stuffed rump roast :D :crazy: :p

Mark

8. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    MarkV, your post is one the reasons I love this place! :smiles:

9. markv

markv

Why thank you Mezzaluna.

You're one of the people that would make the stuffed rump roast worth the effort. :)

Mark