Studying Business vs Culinary School

Discussion in 'General Culinary School Discussions' started by paul297, Feb 22, 2018.

1. paul297

paul297

Exp:
    prep
    Hey guys, I've seen some people suggest doing a degree in business while working in kitchens for experience instead of attending culinary school. For me, this would be a cheaper option because i could attend the university in my state rather than pay for a private culinary school in another state. Can you guys think of pros and cons for going this route?
    Thanks.
    Paul

2. jimyra

jimyra

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    This would be a good plan. Find a chef who will mentor you as you go to school. A chef who understands you are training and not just filling a position. Then explain to your advisor what you are doing so you can take courses that will help you run a kitchen or business. Good Luck!

hrmn and halb like this.
  3. halb

halb

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Excellent idea! There are lots of chefs that can cook but few that can run a business.

flipflopgirl likes this.
  4. 21TonyK

21TonyK

Exp:
    Chef, ex-restaurateur
    Sounds like a very good idea. Just make sure you can balance the hours needed for study and work without burning out.

5. cstanford

cstanford

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    And who are you going to leave your culinary education up to, whoever happens to hire you? You could float around for years working for hack after hack having wasted a whole lot of time. Yes, you can teach yourself a lot, but you can't teach yourself what a dish or a preparation is supposed to taste like, and the idjit you're working for might not know either. Most don't. If might look good on the plate but be a total abomination in the mouth. A lot of people who think they can cook would be better off as food stylists/photographers.