Strawberry Cheesecake Glaze - Starch or Gelatin?

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by piebird13, Feb 4, 2011.

1. piebird13

piebird13

Exp:
    Just Graduated From Culinary School
    I would like to create the same type of fruit glaze you see on commercial Strawberry Cheesecakes/Open Faced Whole Fruit Pies but can't find a recipe I trust. They either ask for Starch or Gelatin and I don't know in which direction to go.  It's important to me to make it from scratch so I can apply this production to other fruit toppings.  Which direction should I go with that will hold up for a few days and give a good presentation (gooey drip frozen in time look). Which method would work best with an acetate strip/band?

Also I'm having a heck of a time trying to find the Apricot Glaze that I used in Culinary School.  I think the name brand started with an 'M' and I can't find any good leads to purchase it online.

Any ideas?

2. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    The Apricoting Glaze was MAZUR  brand . It has been used in the industry for years. As far as starch or jell it's a toss up. Pecten will also work as will modified food starches, Guava, celluloise fiber etc. If your worry is longevity I would go jell. As far as freezing, I would combine both.

3. piebird13

piebird13

Exp:
  4. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Yes that will work, I believe sysco has one in a #10 can like the original  Its called apricote

5. piebird13

piebird13

Exp:
    Thanks so much, I'll try it out.

6. piebird13

piebird13

Exp:
    I was thinking about using Cassava, Tapioca Flour for the starch.  Has anyone else used this?

7. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    You migght want to give Arrowroot a try. Its a higher quality then cornstarch.

8. piebird13

piebird13

Exp:
    That's why I'm trying out Cassava aka Tapioca Flour.  I did a test with Cornstarch last night and all I got was a cloudy pink mess. Has anyone ever used Instant Clearjel?

9. piebird13

piebird13

Exp:
  10. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    If you got a clouy pink mass, you did something wrong. Cornstarch when bought to a correct boil clears and is not cloudy. I don't think you cooked it enough