Storing Stew in a jar

Discussion in 'Professional Catering' started by blowpipes, Nov 14, 2017 at 10:28 AM.

1. blowpipes

blowpipes

Exp:
    Cook
    Hi - I hope I've got the right area here as I am new to the industry. I'm looking to sell cooked food in jars - including meat dishes e.g. stews, cassoulet etc in airtight glass jars and I wonder if anyone knows the typical shelf life of food stored in this way? I understand that the food would need to transferred while very hot, to very hot, sterilised jars and immediately sealed in order for them to last any time. But I am wondering just how long if the product contains meat.

Many thanks all!

2. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Canning meat is a whole different thing from canning fruit. You'll need a pressure canner and a recipe that hits the right pH. It's a rather tricky process to can meat and vegetables together so the vegetables aren't over cooked.

https://www.gopresto.com/recipes/canning/meat.php is a start for meat alone. No stew.

drirene and blowpipes like this.
  3. blowpipes

blowpipes

Exp:
    Cook
    Hi Phatch - much appreciated - I will read and inward digest. Thanks again

4. Pat Pat

Pat Pat

Exp:
    Chef Emeritus
    I sold stews in a jar before, but they're always refrigerated so there's nothing special I needed to do.

blowpipes likes this.