storing meringue

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by anna w., Dec 20, 2001.

1. anna w.

anna w.

Is there anyway to store a baked meringue so that it will last longer than 24 hours?

2. w.debord

w.debord

Absolutely! They'll last for months wrapped well.

I place them in air tight containers, with small bowls (that can't spill and get soda on your meringues) of baking soda (it will absorb the humidity in the container).
    I put a small bowl of soda in each corner of my box and stack the meringues even dirrectly on top of each other and they don't stick...they'll last a really long time this way.

Depending on what your making the hardest part is finding good storage containers. But even non perfect storage containers work fine. I had ones that were cracked, even missing lids....but if you wrap them well with plastic and don't forget the soda they hold really well.

3. palmier

palmier

Yes an air tight container tupperware. I put limestone in the bottem, then a sheet of crinkled up parchment, then the meringues. Works well with sugar pieces too.

4. angrychef

angrychef

I keep my meringues just like Wendy described but I use silica gel. I don't usually keep them that long since we move the product pretty fast.