Chef Forum banner

Storing large batches of stock.

2K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  kccjer 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, my girlfriend, my son and I are currently looking to get our own house. And I want to be able to make up large batches of stock, because I love cooking casseroles and the like.

What is the best ways of storing stock for large periods of time? Would it be best to just freeze it in an ice cube tray? Or make it with bones (as for a jelly-like finish) and just store it air-tight in the fridge?

Also what would be the longest I could keep stock like this?

EDIT: I am looking to make batches as like, 5 litres at a time.

#4 ·
Young Nathan is making this stock up for home use.

I freeze pre made stocks then pop into freezer bags (date and content with a sharpie marker) for long term storage.

Just for identification purpose the chicken is muffin size and beef is cupcake size.

My very prolific Meyer lemon tree has its fruits juiced and those I do in ice cube trays as most uses don't need more than that amt (home use).

mimi

#5 ·
Well I do plan on making batches of like, 5 liters roughly? I have an 11 liter pot right now, but I feel as though I will need a bigger pot, but if I make less, then I make less. And I do plan on freezing them in 1 liter portions, so I know how much I will need to get out at a time.

#9 ·
freeze in 4 gallon white plastic buckets like thee ones mayo an pickles come in. 6 monthes in good working freezer
Great if you will use 4 gallons at a time like in a restaurant.

For the home user it may make more sense to make a big batch then when cooled portion in zip bags for the freezer. I portion 2-3 cups per bag, label and date

Also consider reducing the stock to make it more concentrated. Will take up less freezer space and you can add back water when reheating if desired

#10 ·
Great if you will use 4 gallons at a time like in a restaurant.

For the home user it may make more sense to make a big batch then when cooled portion in zip bags for the freezer. I portion 2-3 cups per bag, label and date

Also consider reducing the stock to make it more concentrated. Will take up less freezer space and you can add back water when reheating if desired
So just reduce it by half, and remove all aromatics etc, then continue to reduce by another half? So 10 litres will end in 2.5?

#14 ·
In a perfect world (where freezer isn't an avalanche waitiing to happen), I'd use 1 quart freezer bags and freeze FLAT... then stack.  Will thaw from rock solid in less than half an hour in luke-warm water.  Since freezer space always seems to be nonexistent, I PRESSURE can in Mason jars.

I very RARELY toss any bones (especially chicken) without making some stock.  Roasted a smallish chicken last weekend, tossed carcass into big pot, added carrots/celery/onions, topped off with water and just let it simmer away.  Might only end up with a quart or 2, but pretty much FREE and very little work.

I'll do a big VAT-O stock a few times a year... usually beef and chicken.  Definitely a COLD weather activity... usually during winter hibernation when bored or looking for an excuse to avoid housework!!  Last time was when I found some great deals at the supermarket.  One market SERIOUSLY marks down meat/poultry when it's 2-3 days BEFORE sell-by date... from $2 off to half price.  Used 4 Cornish hens... seem to remember them not costing much more than $5 for all 4?!?  Got at least 15 pints of stock.  CH not a favorite... also ended up with a lot of meat that cat loved.  Beef came from load-o bones and some big hunk roast.

Next time will try to be patient and cook WAY down... at least reduce by half.  Will NOT add salt till very end.

#16 · (Edited)
Hey guys, sorry to revive this thread, but I was wondering if I could get your feedback on this stock recipe.

3kg Beef Bones

4 Carrots, Roughly, But Evenly Chopped
4 stalks Celery, Roughly, But Evenly Chopped
4 White Onions, Roughly, But Evenly Chopped
6 Bay Leaves
15 Peppercorns, Whole
Water to fill pot (10 liters), and extra to deglaze

Also, how would I store stock if I pressure can my stock? And how long would I be able to store it for?

#19 ·
Kuan, he hasn't been around in 3 years...

And wouldn't I be able to keep them in the cupboard? since they are pressured?

I don't plan on keeping them for great lengths of time, either. I love making casseroles a lot, easy dinner, and my son loves them.

What about the recipe, though? Would that be okay for home use?

#21 ·
Hey guys, sorry to revive this thread, but I was wondering if I could get your feedback on this stock recipe.

3kg Beef Bones

4 Carrots, Roughly, But Evenly Chopped
4 stalks Celery, Roughly, But Evenly Chopped
4 White Onions, Roughly, But Evenly Chopped
6 Bay Leaves
15 Peppercorns, Whole
Water to fill pot (10 liters), and extra to deglaze

Also, how would I store stock if I pressure can my stock? And how long would I be able to store it for?
Yes, this recipe would be fine. Don't know how long to store pressure canned. I freeze mine in the small and medium sized ziploc containers and then pop them out and put them in a large baggie. I can store more that way. Depending on how much I make, this tends to keep for quite a long period of time (up to a year...although I usually use it up before that long) If you add some browned ribs into your recipe, you'll get a little more flavor. A couple packages of ribs roasted in the oven for a couple hours to brown them good....drain off the fat (if you don't want it) and then add the ribs to your stock pot. Also, add your bones and water first with a couple tablespoons of vinegar and allow to soak for 30 minutes before adding everything else and heating. This helps draw the good stuff out of the bones. I don't chop my veggies much....carrots cut in half, celery stalks in half or thirds, onions quartered. You can also add the onion skins for extra silica. I keep a frozen baggie of carrot peels, onion ends and skins, celery pieces, etc that get thrown in with my stock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.