stoneware on the cooktop

Discussion in 'Cooking Equipment Reviews' started by dougl, Sep 17, 2017.

1. dougl

dougl

Exp:
    At home cook
    I'm purchasing a Corningware 4 quart stoneware casserole for a friend. I am very surprised to see it stated that this product should NOT be used on the cooktop. Now, I've used one on the cooktop for 40 years - soups, stews, pot roasts, pasta, etc. No problems. So, um, what's the deal? Have I been extraordinarily lucky? Now I can imagine that if you let the contents dry out, temps could get dangerously high. But as long as there is water in it, how can there be a problem? Just curious if anyone has seen one of these units break on the cooktop, and what you were doing when it did.

2. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I believe the Corning French White I have can be used on a range but never have done so.

There may have been a change over the years in this respect due to a change in materials:

"World Kitchen sells similar looking products under the CorningWare brand name (including a copy of "French White") that are made of glazed stoneware, rather than Pyroceram. The packaging for these newer CorningWare branded cookware products say specifically that they are not for stovetop use."

3. dougl

dougl

Exp:
    At home cook
    Yes, I think the key is "Pyroceram", and it's possible that what I have, and have used for 40 years is, in fact, Pyroceram. No idea if "French White" is Pyroceram.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017