Stones' durability or lifespan in EP sizes?

Discussion in 'Cooking Knife Reviews' started by sameguy, Feb 17, 2012.

1. sameguy

sameguy

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I'm evaluating the options ahead of me for sharpening my knives, and am keenly interested in the ease (of learning) and results-repeatability afforded by the Edge Pro system.

My question, then, is how long can stones last in the EP's size? I'm considering getting the Chosera package.

Contrary to popular belief, I don't actually prepare kaiseki feasts every other night, so my knives aren't really getting used that much. Let's assume for a moment that I clean up the edges of my two or three main carbon knives on an Idahone every use, and polish them with the finer grades once a month or so. How long can I expect the finer Choseras to last?

2. phaedrus

phaedrus

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Mark's stones @ CKtG are much thinner than the original ones that Ken was cutting.  I can say the thicker ones from Ken have been going strong for a couple of years doing all my knives plus those of about a dozen co-workers.  I doubt you'd ever wear out anything above the 1k unless you sharpen for a living.  The aratos of course will wear faster.  I like DMTs & Atoma diamond plates for the coarse work and Choceras for the rest.

3. boar_d_laze

boar_d_laze

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    You're probably steeling too often, and actually weakening your edges.  But if you're very gentle and only use a couple, three strokes on each side of each knife, you're only hastening the inevitable sharpening by a little. 

The current Choseras are thick enough so that the medium and fine stones (1K, 3K, 5K) will likely last a typical home sharpener nearly forever.  Like Phaedrus, I don't use coarse Choseras in the EP.  I'm not sure if Phaedrus uses the 10K or not; but I don't.  I polish those knives of mine capable of taking a very fine finish either on a bench stone Gesshin 8K or on a strop.  But that's me.  Not recommending, just saying.

A DMT XXC is an excellent and efficient flattener.  I see Atomas, which are better, more expensive, and which can actually be resurfaced, as overkill for flattening; but since I only use diamond plates for flattening and not for profiling I can't comment on whether their superiority makes them worth their price.  In any case, drywall screen is a fine flattener, especially for cut down stones like those you use in an EP, if you don't already have a diamond plate.

BDL

4. phaedrus

phaedrus

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I feel the 140 EP Atoma is well worth the price for sharpening, not just flattening.  When it's new it's nearly as fast as a belt grinder, no lie!  It's much better than the DMT Dia-Sharp line, although a bit more expensive.

The Chocera 10k is one of my favorite stones, although I sometimes finish with the 8k "Snow White".  Mostly I use Chocera stones on my knives and Shaptons on everyone elses./img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

5. sameguy

sameguy

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Thanks again. I think, for starters, I'll go with Mark's EP Chosera kit along with the Atoma for profiling my older blades. As my obsession waxes I will probably add some bench stones and learn some party tricks.

6. phaedrus

phaedrus

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I think you'll be very happy with the Choceras.

7. sameguy

sameguy

Exp:
    Home Cook
    :) It's an expensive kit, no joke, but I think it will prove its worth by keeping my growing high-end blade collection performing at its best. Being able to rehab my older knives along with those of my friends and family will be a bonus (and help get more value from the kit).