stoked on my 'chokes

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by gunnar, Feb 7, 2010.

1. gunnar

gunnar

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    woot! just added a dozen sunchoke bulbs to the garden and two more artichoke plants. Lost 2 of 3 artichokes last year after revising the garden layout. Got a whopping 3 artichokes off my surviving plant (big and beautiful though, finally) and now it looks like its gonna be just fine and need to be separated after this year. What a bushy plant it's turned into. I am gonna love a supply of sunchoke. I hear they grab hold like garlic or onions. once planted its an act of congress to get 'em removed. My favorite is baking them like a potato, the flavor is a bit different but the texture is perfect. My wife likes it when I go all out and do the sunchoke au gratin she read in The Moosewood cookbook. (I thinks its in that one, just saying it aint my recipe). Anyway got grubby fingernails and wanted to brag. Cya:peace:

2. amazingrace

amazingrace

Exp:
    At home cook
    Yep. If you can keep the critters from diggin' em up. You might consider a liberal dusting of cayenne pepper over the surface of the soil. It won't harm the plants or the animals, but it will help to discourage them.

3. gummy-bear

gummy-bear

Exp:
    s:12:"At home cook";
    Ooooh, I discovered sunchokes this winter,  put some on the bottom of the pan I was roasting a duck in. Sunchokes baked in duck fat is by far one of the yummiest things I've ever tasted. What type of climate do they like? Are they easy to grow, because I kill everything (I've killed rosemary).

4. gunnar

gunnar

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I don't know really, my wife is the botanical one. I just move dirt and build stuff for the garden and spray wate where she says. From what she has told me they should be very easy to care for.

5. belindaw

belindaw Banned

Exp:
    At home cook
    you are a good husband

6. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    My Artichokes didn't survive the winter. Have to try a different treatment on them next time.

7. gunnar

gunnar

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Have some ready to harvest, even the new plants have got itty bitty chokes on them. Hey phatch try doing a shade cloth drape when the weather starts to turn,  help them form getting frostbite. I also let one choke go untouched so it can have a chance to seed some more in the area.

8. homemadecook

homemadecook

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Really don;t have any idea on how to plant and grow them even in winter season. Hey Gunnar, could you give us advice on how to plant them correctly and take care of them in winter season? If you don't mind, can you ask your wife about this? :) 

Thanks!

9. gunnar

gunnar

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    It does depend slightly on what usda zone your in from what she says. Here in the foothills of California we just planted them early feb, still had frost and  lots of rain. They are very hardy and apparently difficult to kill (unless you transplant them wrong  which is how I lost the ones from a couple of years ago.)  They like sunny spots and decent amounts of water but not alot. To be honest these things get ignored in the winter we didn't even put shade cloth on to help them stay warm.  My biggest one didn't die back last year, he is a brute.  In places colder then here, they will die back  (the roots stay alive)  so trim off teh dead leaves , leave the main stem alone an remember to mark the spot with a flag so you remember where it was.  they do need space, my main plant is about 4-5 foot around in circumference and has huge elephant ear type of leaves. hope this helps