Stocks?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by glclark46, Nov 23, 2005.

1. glclark46

glclark46

Exp:
    At home cook
    How long can you keep prepared chicken, turkey and beef stocks?

2. markv

markv

Definitely less than a week in a fridge. I think even 4-5 days is pushing it.

Make sure you cool it properly (by placing the pot of stock in ice water) before refrigerating.

And I would also bring ti to a full boil before use, especially if its been in the frigde for a couple of days.

Mark

3. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    A rule of thumb we used in the stewarding department at school was reboil after the first three days, and if it gets to be time for a second reboil, throw it out. And of course, if you dip into the container to take any out, make sure you use an absolutely clean ladle or spoon. (You don't want to introduce anything else that could go bad.)

Stock also well in the freezer -- just make sure it is well-sealed, because it too can get freezer burn. If it's protected from air, it can keep for months in the freezer.

4. markv

markv

Suzanne:

I must tell you that I feel honored that you immortilized my little quote in your motto.

You are too sweet.

(Big hug)

Mark:smiles:

5. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
  6. torikoben

torikoben

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    Hi, 

I would like to enquire that during cooking of white stock, is it advisable to cover the pot? Kindly advise the pros and cons. Thanks

Benson

7. iplaywithfire

iplaywithfire

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    General rule is 4 days maximum in a good refrigerator and sealed container.  This depends on the quality of the stock, whether or not it was cooked and cooled properly, and provided that people respect the stock while it is in storage.  If a stock is not brought up to and then held at temp throughout the cooking process, and/or if poor ingredients are used, it will not last long (as well as simply be a bad stock from the get-go).  The faster the better for cooling.  If not cooled properly, a stock can spoil in as little as 5 or 6 hours.  So 4 days max for a good stock, certainly less if something wasn't done right.  Bearing all that in mind, always taste your stock before using it.  If it tastes off (for whatever reason), your dish will be off, and the stock is useless.  If your daily production does not allow for frequent stock making, freezing is a good option, but that too will reduce the time it can be held in a refrigerator once thawed.

8. iplaywithfire

iplaywithfire

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    A parchment lid will keep airborne particles out of your stock while allowing steam to escape, so water won't drip down the inside of the pot as much, dragging scum with it.  As the liquid reduces, the lid will move and keep a closer contact.  It takes a bit more maintenance than a solid lid, but if managed well, it provides a better end product.

9. iplaywithfire

iplaywithfire

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I should add that no lid generally means the stock requires a higher temperature heat source, which means that the temperature gradient from the bottom to the top of your pot will be greater.  This will add to a more vigorous convection effect, increasing your chances for a cloudy stock.