Stinging nettles

Joined Aug 11, 2000
Last weekend I shopped Louisville's Bardstown farmer's market...always a joy to see what is grown/produced in a locale.
So...my market basket contained, kale, lettuce, pork sausage, french radishes, morels (yep wild ones), hydro tomatoes...bleck, green garlic, green onions, shiitake, morel soup, pecan roll....looked way better than it tasted (bummer), cheeses (meet Judy Shad from Capriole!!!!!), and Stinging Nettles.

So besides not touching them and sauting them like spinach how do you fix stinging nettles?

Joined Apr 15, 2003
I've never had the oppertunity to eat them... just occasionally walk through them. I know they have been used to make tea.

Please let us know how they turn out. I'm couriouse to know if they are something worth foraging.

Thanks,
Hex

Joined May 11, 2001
There's a soup recipe I've been wanting to try, but I can't find stinging nettles unless I go forage for them on my own. I've read that stinging nettles are great for relieving hay fever symptoms.

Joined Jan 11, 2002
Although I think that they don't worth the time you waste to clean them, you can use them just like spinach. Frittata and Risotto made with stinging nettles are pretty good.

Pongi

Joined Jan 24, 2003
just use tops & blanch 1 minute boiling water, makes great soup

Joined Aug 4, 2000
I made the mistake one day while walking in the French countryside of smelling a nettle without knowing anything about its stinging attributes. Ouch, the clumsy experience brought tears to my eyes. :(

Joined Jan 24, 2003
we have a welsh version of jackass & one of the stunts involved
2 guys butt naked rolling in stinging nettle bushes, they came out very red & crying....its not big & its not clever !!!!

Joined Jun 13, 2002
once blanched, they are safe to handle and can be used like spinach in a variety of ways, omelets, fritattas, quiche, ect. i can remember my grandfather collecting dandelion greens but never saw an attraction to the nettle:D

Top Bottom