Still have some skills in the kitchen

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by nicko, Oct 19, 2011.

1. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    This past weekend I threw a surprise birthday for my wife and the food and party was actually pretty decent. She loves Paris so I did a Paris theme for her complete with the Eiffel tower in ice.

Eiffel tower wine holder out of ice. My wonderful friends at Nadeau's Ice Sculptures  (http://www.nadeauice.com/) let me come in and bang this out for the party. I was quite a bit slower than when I used to do this regularly but it came together alright. 

[​IMG]

Standard crudites display.

[​IMG]

Cheese and fruit display.

Cheese:
    • Comte
    • p'tit basque
    • Morbier
    • Triple Creme
    • La Fleur
    • Bleu d'Auvergne
    • Mimolette 
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also served smoked salmon and shrimp cocktail

*Next to the cake (right) were L'artisan macaroons. French pastry chef in San Francisco who studied under Pierre Herme. Thanks for the tip Bonbini!

[​IMG]

Had the cake made at Toni Patisserie in Hinsdale Illinois. It was huge and expensive.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  2. french fries

french fries

Exp:
    At home cook
    Wow. Stunning. You can be proud!! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/licklips.gif

3. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Nice Job. As I have said many times. ""You gotta have it in the hands"" and you do, you never lose it.

4. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    This is amazing.  Lucky lady! 

5. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    Nicko,

What a beautiful ice sculpture especially having inserts for the wine. Everything else  looks great, beautiful cake - and the chocolate piping ....awesome.

Your skills are probably better than they have ever been, you never lose it.

I Love Paris

Petals.

6. nicko

nicko Founder of Cheftalk.com Staff Member

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I think Paris is one of the greatest cities. Often I speak with people who have disdain for the French but I have not had and difficulty with them. What continues to amaze me about Paris is you can start walking with no direction and see and experience the most amazing sites, cafes, shops, etc. It is hard not to fall in love the with food and the passion for the food there. Such a different take on life, friends, family, and food. 

It was a great party.

7. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    I love love love Paris, beautiful city wonderful vibe.  I will admit though that my experiences there have left me a little displeased with how I was treated.  I speak a little french, enough to get by and always made a valiant attempt to speak french.  The french were vile, they always scoffed at me.  My pronunciation is fantastic I've been told, even if I don't speak too much french and understand even less.  I don't know what's wrong with them, why so mean?