Sticker Shock!

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by durangojo, Jun 27, 2011.

1. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I shop Walmart and have found them accross the board average 12--18% less then anybody.

2. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    RGM2

"So here is my question... have you asked your customers what they think is a better option for them? Smaller portion or a pay hike for the current size? Has anyone ever done a larger and smaller portion on the menu? How did it turn out? Demographics plays a huge part in marketing. I feel your pain. It really comes down to choices. Some people do not feel like they have "gotten their moneys worth" unless they get a 24 ouch porterhouse and throw the other 2/3 of the steak in the garbage or fed it to their dog." 

This is the end result. The customers get screwed. THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE ECONOMY! This has been a long term problem in this industry.

The Sam Walton concept of these big food vendors and feeders has basically wiped out small vendors and competition. These cartels have paid off everyone in Govt.

and any agency that might investigate the criminality involved. The 3 big feeders are sucking and stealing more federal monies then most legal agencies together. To quiet the infrastructure they have developed a criminal kickback system  to rival that of organized crime. They steal our tax dollars by inflating prices, skim a good percentage and pass on a small amount for kickback to properties. I did some work for a private feeder that was taken over by ARA. They tied their hands to a contract vendor for 97% of purchases. The annual kickback was so large it covered every management bonus for the whole property. Who suffers? the customer.

The local sysco here has 32 internal pricing structures for% markup. I bet my paycheck there is not one small business above 25 on the list.

The entities in the food and hospitality industry let this happen!!! associations, groups, governing bodies, representitives, presidents, etc. 

THE ONLY ONES SCREAMING WAS SMALL BUSINESS. By the time the industry figured out what was going on, it was too late. Most all were already in the kickback system.

Just like Walton, going into small towns and eliminating all private business.

The result is hurting the customer financially and gearing them to accept a mediocre product.

Well my rant/img/vbsmilies/smilies/bounce.gif  Support you local small business!

THE ONLY ONES SCREAMINGT

3. left4bread

left4bread

Exp:
    mgmt
    It's mixed feelings that I have right now.

I can't believe that anyone would put up with the amount of BS that you guys deal with,

and I dread the day that I have to start dealing with it.

Makes me count my blessings.

I can and do trust my reps.  And I check them.  And they tell me when product prices are about to go through the roof.

And they have websites that talks about weather conditions and expected price changes regarding specific produce.

Local farmers will usually match broadliner prices.  If not, I raise menu prices, and...

Customers will pay more if they know they are supporting local businesses/farmers, and feel good about doing it.

Maybe it's time I get on the Sustainable Connections board so I can be a more active and grateful member in my community.

4. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Wow....

You must be one of those "Key accounts", they kind that actually get service.  Take your left hand and pat your right shoulder.

Like Gov'ts and royalty, most reps are only good as a source of entertainment.  Usually we know more about the product then they do, and we can usually tell when they're b/s ing.  Take pleasure in disrupting their golf game when your 109-a's didn't come in, that's what their commision is paying for, service. 

5. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    [​IMG][​IMG]just wanted to share a few views...first view is from the dining room...those mountains in the background are at 13,000 feet......so guess it's the trade off for mediocre service!...

joey

6. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    You have to watch everything, I got my US Foods delivery today. #35 fryer oil quoted $31, with $5 rebate each. Invoice charged $48 ea with a $4 rebate.

Hoagie rolls were $3+ over, case of cheese, $10+

I wonder how many people just pay invoices and don't check prices?

I order about half of my goods and do the Costco, cash & carry route for the rest. I know what things cost and get pricing every week before I order.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  7. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    I have worked in many places where accounting does not watch.

Biggest rip problem is when you send something back, your accounting office doesn't know you sent it back and you are never given credit. I don't care what salesman or driver say take the item off the invoice right then and there and deduct the price off invoice right then and there, then sign it. If you signed it the way it was , you have agreed and accepted it. Sorry but  DO NOT TRUST ANY GROCERY HOUSE  you have to get like this unfortunatly for your own good.

8. kyheirloomer

kyheirloomer

Exp:
    Food Writer
    Anyone who trusts the accounting department to catch "errors" is automatically wasting money. All accounting does is pay the bills, as presented to them. Even obvious errors aren't corrected, most of the time.

In the past, the worst offenders were transportation people. Double invoicing was indemic. Yet, the accountants rarely caught this. Then comes an audit, and everyone goes crazy over the overcharges.

There actually were (might still be) consulting companies who would perform these audits, then go after the shipping company for the overage. Their only income: 50% of what they recouped. The practice was so widespread that several companies supported themselves that way.

It works the other way, too, unfortunately. I once worked for a place that, until I went to work there, never checked in-coming deliveries. The food service guy would bring in the delivery, somebody would sign the invoice, and that was that.

Madness!!!

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  9. blwilson2039

blwilson2039

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Good points above, and food reps are good at lining their pockets if you're not careful. I'm starting up a small business and opened an account with Shamrock because the rep is stellar and I trust him. However, I'll probably end up going to Costco or Smart & Final because their pricing is as good if not better, but you have to have the time to look. I don't have a big inventory list, so it's easy to monitor. My first experience with a rep was a new guy who had gone through culinary school and wanted to make more money so he became a rep (what does that tell you?). He was not honest nor did he care. When I questioned $28.00 for a full flat of strawberries in March, the price on the next invoice was half. Did the same thing with eggs, too. Grrrr... He didn't last long.

Also, I just got an app for my phone that will let you scan the bar code on any item and tell you what the price is at varying stores. Makes comparison shopping easy.

Durangojo: nice office.

10. rgm2

rgm2

Exp:
    Line Cook
    That place is pretty amazing Joey! I grew up about 30 miles from Lake Tahoe and love that scenery, reminds me of home! And that phone app is amazing!

11. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    The fact he went to half and tried to rip you off, I would dump him as he will try agaain. It's the nature of the beast. And on top of that he will most likely be a liar.

12. greyeaglem

greyeaglem

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Wow Jo, what a pretty place! I don't know how food can vary so much pricewise across the country. I'm locked into seafood, so all my stuff is expensive, but for comparison (and leverage) here's what I pay for a few things: 16/20 black tiger shrimp $8.45 lb. Regular heavy cream around $2.50 qt. Wild Pacific salmon $5.99. Atlantic cod $3.74 lb. Rainbow trout $7.74 lb. None of my seafood comes in fresh. I am too far from the ocean for that and have better (fresher) results using frozen. You know what they say about houseguests and fish after three days. There is no way anyone is going to get fish caught in the ocean to me in less than three days. Just doesn't happen. I have had people who live on both coasts eat at our place and remark how fresh the seafood tastes, so I know I'm not losing anything buying frozen despite what anyone might say. I'm in the midwest and I know it. If I were on either coast, buying frozen would be just pure lazy. I hate salmon, but one of my reps brought in some salmon from Norway that I actually liked. Liked a lot as a matter of fact. It was $8.99 lb. but I don't know the brand name.  If you're paying more, ask your reps why. You're probably buying the same stuff I am only paying more. My shrimp comes through Sysco and the salmon at $5.99 is from Blue Wave. I also buy scallops from that company, but I buy both through a small independent co.

13. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Price you are paying are fair and in line. There is nothing wrong with frozen seafood providing it is frozen correctly and kept that way. In some cases from a health standpoint it is even better. The cruise ship industry for example is not permitted to accept any fish on board that has  not been frozen for a least 72 hours prior sailing.

14. greyeaglem

greyeaglem

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Yeah, that's another thing. Fish have all kinds of parasites, worms etc. (hard for me to forget that when I'm eating it) and freezing cures that. Can't bring myself to eat sushi because I know that. Although I believe that's part of being a sushi chef; being able to see problems in fish and not serve it. Don't know though. I don't know any sushi chefs.

15. left4bread

left4bread

Exp:
    mgmt
    Kinda curious, whole fish or fillets?  Skin on/off?  PBO?  Portioned?

Paying $5.99/lb whole fresh Sockeye; they fillet (price changes daily).

Is that farmed in Norway or wild?

Can't find my fish chart, random question: isn't a whole fish 30% "waste"?

Don't mean to hijack the thread...

16. thetincook

thetincook

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Depends on the fish. My book of yields gives waste of 20 to 60 percent.

17. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    If you  have use for trim. No example salmon mousse, croquettes etc, bones for court boullion ect.  Same as a prime rib after all trim. The trick is use all for something that generates or aids income.

18. greyeaglem

greyeaglem

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Left4bread, It was skin-off cryovaced 8 oz. salmon fillet.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  19. left4bread

left4bread

Exp:
    mgmt
    That's a really good price.

I'd assume it's farmed?

Well, this is getting off topic.  Sorry OP.

Starting new thread.

20. durangojo

durangojo

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    so this might be a slight crabcrawl to the left of this thread, but sort of ties in...kinda...this doesn't happen very often, in fact hardly ever, but when it does, what do you do? when the warehouse mispulls a product and although its not what you ordered, it's actually worth alot more. do you send it back? check it off the invoice and keep it? i'm not talking about sending cracked black pepper instead of restaurant grind, i'm talking sending a case of 6, 5 up beef tenderloins instead of ground beef. the invoice says ground beef, the box says Beef...i've done both...just curious what you do...come on, be honest..i promise i won't snitch!...it's like if something is falling out of the sky and you're sure it's not a piano, do you look up?...huh? don't know where that came from...need coffee!

joey