Stick blenders

Discussion in 'Cooking Equipment Reviews' started by nancya, May 15, 2001.

1. nancya

nancya

My Braun stick blender, which I've had for 15 years, is on it's last legs and I'm looking around at my different options. I have obviously had good luck with Braun and am considering their newest version. I am open to other options, however, and was hoping that some of you may have used the Cuisinart or Williams-Sonoma version - or some other version that you like best.

So, what's your favorite stick blender?

By the way, I really insist on adjustable speeds. Other features are negotiable. :D

[ May 15, 2001: Message edited by: nancya ]

2. pooh

pooh

I use Braun. Never tried any other.

:rolleyes:

3. kokopuffs

kokopuffs

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Within the last 18 months I read an article in SAVEUR entitled "the Top 25" or "the TOP 50". The magazine rated the Williams Sonoma brand stick blender as the best.

I have no personal experience using one, however. ;)

4. svadhisthana

svadhisthana

I have a Braun, if I were you I'd stick to what works.

Svadhisthana

p.s. to find the best price in your town go to www.shoppinglist.com. They also have brand to brand comparisons.

5. seattledeb

seattledeb

I use a Braun immersion blender.

6. isa

isa

I have a Braun too. I also have a food processor by Braun. The only thing I don't like about their products is that they get a yellowish tint very quickly.

7. coolj

coolj

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I have a Bamix stick blender.

8. mezzaluna

mezzaluna

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I have a Braun, too. But I have a question: does anyone know of a stick blender that has a metal basket around the blade, rather than a plastic one? I had a Cuisinart one before, and the plastic disintegrated when I blended some crushed ice. (I KNEW that would happen... unaccountably, I did it anyway. :rolleyes: ) Just the same, I'd prefer a metal basket to a plastic one, even if I don't repeat that stupid mistake.

9. mudbug

mudbug

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    nancya,

You may want to check out the following web site. There are 22 stick blenders listed, many with reviews and opinions.

Another place to look.

10. nancya

nancya

Wow! cchiu, you know your way around the web. Thanks for the sites.

Mezz, I have used my braun chopping ice and anything else for 15 years, and the plastic cage never broke. Williams-Sonoma's version has a metal cage, I think.

11. bouland

bouland

I have a Cuisinart Quick Prep Hand Blender CSB-33 that I can not recommend. I have modified the blade so that it aerates liquids better (and faster), but I find it useless for pureeing small quanities of solid foods.

12. risa

risa

Mezz: My Braun has a stainless steel shaft. I think it's model MR555. It came with a whisk attachment and a chopper attachment.

13. brook

brook

Another vote for the Braun! I've used mine for years and am very satisfied with it, despite the yellowish tinge on the casing.

14. daveb

daveb

The Braun MR555 is definitely the best stick blender I've owned. The removable stainless head makes proper cleaning easy, the whisk works well, and the little chopper is very useful when precise chopping is needed. :)

15. chefjohnpaul

chefjohnpaul

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I have a Braun and a Mulinex, between the two I like my Mulinex, but they both ain't bad. The Mulinex has a longer removable shaft and was actually less expensive. :D