Steaming Salmon

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by devilxchef, Apr 6, 2005.

1. devilxchef

devilxchef

What are the basics on giving steamed salmon flavour?

2. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Steam it Chinese style, in a solid pan, in a covered wok, with all your flavoring "stuff." The steam makes the sauce, so to speak.

3. beefcheeks

beefcheeks

Use aromatics like ginger, garlic, fennel, dill, or lemon and orange slices. place in steamer basket. You can place some on top too. Scallions and chives also good.

I like the chinese style too, where after steaming I ladle some very hot peanut oil/soy sauce mixture over the fish along with some chopped cilantro. :lips: I usually do this for snapper or cod, not really salmon which I love crusted and broiled...or sauteed for that matter. :roll:

4. devilxchef

devilxchef

Thank you very much. I am entering a scholarship culinary competetion, and I need some ideas for a salmon based desert. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

5. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Use the roe.

6. nowiamone

nowiamone

From the land (river) of the big Kenai King Salmon my I suggest, a fruit wood Smoked salmon in a mild cheese for a clever shaped spread, crispy (not sweet) tall triangle in mid plate, cracker, accompanied by a spicy/mild fruit and a balsamic reduction drizzle...................... sounds interesting......my have to work on this today!