Steamed Breads

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by sancyr, Apr 14, 2005.

1. sancyr

sancyr

Hi all!

I've been making Chinese steamed buns with different kinds of fillings in my bamboo steamer. So I got to thinking:

1. What are the benefits/characteristics of steaming bread versus baking (a dryer process though most breads need moisture to get a good spring & crust in the oven)?
    2. What other kinds of bread can be steamed and to what end?
    3. Does anyone have any other ideas or recipes that feature steamed breads?

Thanks!

Sara

2. mangilao30

mangilao30

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Hi sis. Wassup?

3. sancyr

sancyr

Hey Sis, glad you made it to this forum. I thought you might like it. Don't foget to introduce yourself in the Introduction section.

So, now that you're running around in Italy, have you seen any steamed breads?

Sara

4. mudbug

mudbug

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
  5. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    You're talking about the kind of bread you cook on top of the stove over steaming water -- not that you bake in the oven with a pan of water to provide moisture, right? .

In that case, another type of steamed bread is brown bread (think New England brown-bread-and-baked-bean suppers). And there's a close connection between British steamed puddings (plum pudding comes immediately to mind) and steamed breads. These are batters poured into molds and cooked with steam. Somewhat different from the Chinese steamed buns, which start out as a drier dough.

Come to think of it, this is a good question for the bakers here. So I'm moving this thread to where they'll be more likely to see it and add their thoughts.

And Welcome!!!

6. kylew

kylew

Exp:
    Home Chef
    When Suzanne mentioned brown bread it got me thinking. The brown bread I have made is chemically leavened (baking soda/powder). I did a quick Google and the first few steamed bread recipes were also chemically leavened. Is this true of all/most steamed breads?

7. sancyr

sancyr

I'm not familiar with brown bread... is it much like bread pudding? Or it is a firmer, dough-like bread? Sweet, savory?

The steamed Chinese buns I make are yeast risen. But, they're the only steamed bread I currently make.

Sara

8. rajeev

rajeev

hi sara,
    my name is rajeev krishnan.i am a chef in bakery and confectionery.from india.in india v make south indian speciality breads like idli -a steamed bread made of lentil and ricemade into a batter and steamed in a pressure cooker.
    if interested plz seach for south indian breads -idli