Steak Virgin

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by veggie lover, Dec 24, 2004.

1. veggie lover

veggie lover

I was raised a vegetarian and never learned to cook meat. But, I bought my meat-loving husband some kc strips for Christmas. How do I cook them?

2. keeperofthegood

keeperofthegood

He oh, and oh my!!

I would advise some caution here. Have you been around raw meat? Do you know what it smells like while it is cooking? These are two causes for vegitarians to pass out. Seriously, I've seen it happen.

If you are comfortable with meat, sights and smells, and I am assuming the kc means kwick cook, then you would do them up like zuchini medalions. In a fry pan on high heat, look for the surface to sweat, and give them a flip, wait half a minute and out on the serving plate.

If you mean something other than fast fry steaks, let us know. (or me anyway cause I am un familiar with the term kc strips),

Now, if you fall into the class of the totally unprepared for raw meat, maybe you should present him with the frypan, a nice sized portabella mushroom, a medium onion, and the raw meat.

3. phaedrus

phaedrus

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Um, I'm betting she means Kansas City Strips, KeeperOfTheGood. I'd suggest broiling them as the best method. Gas or charcoal can be good; do you have a grill of any kind? If not, you can set your oven to broil & cook em that way- not as good, but not bad by any means. One other fine way to prepare a steak is pan broiling. Kinda smokey, but pretty good. You crust the steak(s) with pepper and use a very hot cast iron skillet (or a "disposable" pan, ie one you don't care about).

Medium rare is rarer is best if they're nice steaks, but of course that depends upon what he likes. Many people don't think a good steak needs sauce, and that may be true- still, some sauted mushrooms & onions can't hurt, and I like a puddle of burgandy demiglace, too. Short of that, a nice smear of butter right as you plate it is great.:lips:

BTW, your hubby's a lucky guy; how many vegetarian spouses will prepare a steak for their mate?

4. phaedrus

phaedrus

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Steak au Poivre is an excellent choice, too, and doesn't involve needing a lot of meat know-how. You basically just have to sear it then throw it in the oven. You need to make a little sauce, but it's a very simple one.

Here's a recipe that's not too complicated. Good luck!