Steak Problems

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by Lucusd88, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Lucusd88

Lucusd88

Exp:
    Sous
    Hi Chefs
    Had a steak sent back tonight saying it was overcooked (medium well, should have been medium rare) . Which it appeared to be, but looking closer there seemed to be a grey ring around the outside and pale center. And it felt very soft like a medium rare should be. The raw steak looked pale pink, no fat almost rubber like texture. Why do steaks cook in this way? Poor quality beef?
    Thanks

2. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    More info would help but yes, most likely poor quality. If the cow was on the younger side when slaughtered sometimes that can lead to pale looking meat (think veal vs. beef), grass fed vs. grain fed, amount of fat, etc.

What cut was it?

Lucusd88 likes this.
  3. Lucusd88

Lucusd88

Exp:
    Sous
    It was quite a large ribeye, 4kg. The quality of our beef varies so much from our butcher which makes life very difficult.

4. jimyra

jimyra

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    BIG steak. What grade meat do you buy? Do you temp it? Do you trust you butcher, I have had them try to sub lower grades?

5. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Well, it's not always your butcher fault in the sense that he doesn't get to choose what meat he is sent (I'm assuming), but maybe he should know better than to send you the pale ones. Sounds like you have to talk to your butcher or find another source for meat.

the 4kg wasn't one steak obviously, right? That's 9 lbs...I assume you're talking about the sub-primal ribeye...

You also don't say where you are located...

Did you have problems with the rest of the meat? Or just that one steak?

Lucusd88 and Vjan like this.
  6. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I had this happen to me the other night, as a customer. I ordered a NY MR. When I first cut into it I thought it MW, but on closer inspection I realized that it was MR, just a pale piece of meat. The texture was correct for a MR but the color wasn't. This place is the only "steakhouse" in town and we wanted a quick steak and didn't feel like driving for a really good steak. The place uses lesser quality steaks not bad, just not really good either) as they want to keep their prices low and I am aware of that so I just assume that they didn't start out with the best quality steak.

Lucusd88 likes this.
  7. Lucusd88

Lucusd88

Exp:
    Sous
    It was rest of the meat as well. Also thought it could be down to oxidisation, but it had only been out of vac pac for a day

8. Lucusd88

Lucusd88

Exp:
    Sous
    Very frustrating as a chef. As far as I'm aware there isn't a grading system for quality of steak in the uk

9. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Yeah I doubt that it's oxidation. Oxidation tends to turn the meat gray and is pretty easy to identify.

Sounds like a simply quality issue. I would either talk to your butcher or change where you get your meat. If your butcher is able to identify these sub par cuts and prevent them from getting to you then you should be fine. I'm assuming that he/she will be willing to help since you (I assume) buy beef from them regularly.

If they can't or won't try and work with you, I suggest you find a new source for beef.