steak and mushroom pie

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by chefdannispain, Mar 13, 2014.

1. chefdannispain

chefdannispain

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    Hello, I have a restaurant in spain and a chef that helped me cook but he has left and I've been looking at recipies and I'm confused with the pie. He never used flour on the steak. I would like to know why this is done and how to do this with 6kilos of meat. Thank you

2. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Would like to help but can't without knowing what the recipe is.

3. chefdannispain

chefdannispain

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    Steak, mushroom and onion pie I've seen recipies that coat the meat in flour first, I have to use 6k of meat and the flour on the meat is not so easy to cook off. but the pie come out great I reduced some red wine poured it on the meat, drained it then made a gravy. I was wondering if there was a different way to get the gravy for the pie without cooking the flour or is there a reason for this?? The chef I trained with soaked all the meat in wine boiled the juices and skimmed of the blood added more water then packet gravy. Cooked in the oven another 2hours.
    Hope I explained better. Thank you

4. koukouvagia

koukouvagia

Exp:
    Home Cook
    You don't have to coat the meat in flour.  I never do it because it really is hard to cook off all that flour without burning it.  I prefer to get a good sear on the meat.  Sear it in batches so that it doesn't steam in the pot.  Then I remove the meat to the side.  In the pot I add the aromatics (onions, garlic, etc) and cook it a little before I add the flour and cook it gently with the onions.  Then I add the liquids and the meat again.  

I don't put the mushrooms in until the end.  Instead I sautee them in butter and add them in the last 30minutes of the braise.

5. cerise

cerise Banned

Exp:
    Other
    The flour seals in the moisture and juices into the meat and also helps to brown it before you make your dish. A cast iron pan may help.  Then add in the rest of your ingredients. Hope that helps.