Steak again? New to me technique?

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
So I saw this somewhere but don't remember where.  You sear a steak on both sides, carve it, arrange the slices on a skillet pan, and then finish it in the broiler.

I'm thinking I could do the same but I would sear it without seasoning, and then season with large flake salt and pepper, and then bring it to medium rare.

Might be worth a try,

Joined Apr 5, 2007
Thanks pretty much what I do with my brunch steaks.  I do season pre-sear, and brush some of the same seasoning whisked into some oil right before hitting the broiler.  I do use an electric deck broiler that gets about as hot as electric will and has a top and bottom element.

Joined Mar 9, 2013
Sounds like you may prefer doing a Sirloin like this, hit it with a Jaccard, marinate and slice against the grain. I have a Blackstone Gas Pizza Oven I cook Cod on cast iron tray oiled, never turn..Great broiler too

Joined Apr 3, 2008
I've been seeing something similar on instagram a lot lately but instead of broiling they pour hot oil on it. It sizzles.

Joined Aug 15, 2003
Meh, I found the quote. Not exactly what I said but pretty damn close. 
Frank's doing well, very well, keeping up. He did his apprenticeship with Robuchon, making food somewhat more elegant and delicately arranged than our Les Halles' humble workingman's fare, so it's a nice surprise that he's turned out to be such a line stud, cheerfully cranking out simple brasserie chow with speed and efficiency. He doesn't over-rely on the salamander, which I like (a lot of his French predecessors insist on cooking everything stone-rare, slicing and then coloring the slices under the salamander-something I hate to see); he makes minimal use of the microwave, which the cholo contingent has come to refer to contemptuously as 'cooking Frenchstyle', and I've only seen him throw one steak in the fry-o-lator.

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
So it wasn't so good actually.  I felt even though there was a bit of color the cooking wasn't even, with bites of tough and blue meat mixed with tough and dry well done pieces.  The fat didn't singe properly either, but if you like blue steak this is your method!  

Joined Sep 5, 2008
Quote:

So it wasn't so good actually.  I felt even though there was a bit of color the cooking wasn't even, with bites of tough and blue meat mixed with tough and dry well done pieces.  The fat didn't singe properly either, but if you like blue steak this is your method!  
I can't imagine how that method could yield any kind of decent result.

If you like blue steak, just sear it on both sides, about 30sec per side, you're done. Don't carve, don't pass under the salamander.

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001
Here it is.  You can basically see how it is at the end.

Joined Apr 5, 2007
I blow throw a bunch of top sirloin steaks on weekends using a similar method.  Its good.  Mind you, that comes from me working with the equipment and space that I have.  And practice!

kuan

Staff member
Joined Jun 11, 2001

I blow throw a bunch of top sirloin steaks on weekends using a similar method.  Its good.  Mind you, that comes from me working with the equipment and space that I have.  And practice!
Maybe I'll get the hang after a hundred times!  :D

I'm thinking I'm expecting something that's not possible with this technique?

Joined Apr 5, 2007
Ha!  I started doing this as "mother of invention" situation, busy brunch, short on pans, short on space, you know the drill.  Like I say, I found I got really good results with my "brunch steak", that being a marinaided sirloin tip.  Not much fat to render there, to the point where I brush more on to finish.  The broiler I use (a re-furbished chain propriatory thing)  is an over/under kind of deal.  I tricked the pull out grill with a thin rectangle of cast iron to boost heat retention.  There is only like 2 inches of clearance in the thing.  I think all of these factors help make it work.  

I have hanger steak on the main menu right now, I might try that this way, just to say I did.  

Cheers, 

Al

Top Bottom