Starting new job tomorrow!

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by alexzander70, May 30, 2011.

1. alexzander70

alexzander70

Exp:
    Line Cook
    So tomorrow i start my job as a line cook for chili's. 

I've never had a job as a cook before so any tips for me.

2. headless chicken

headless chicken

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Get good comfortable shoes.  Your feet and ankles will thank you later.

3. kuan

kuan Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Retired Chef

Cooks normally don't get tips.  :D

No, really,  good luck!

4. rgm2

rgm2

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Good shoes, and remember it will get better! Your first few weeks will be hell. Pay close attention to what you are being told.

5. alexzander70

alexzander70

Exp:
    Line Cook
    today was all right...I only got like 3 hours cuz it was so slow so the  manger sent me home,I made a lot of mistakes so i felt kinda stupid. But tomorrow i got night shift so i got to be ready

6. moranp

moranp

Exp:
    Culinary Student
    I'm in the same boat last week i got a job in a kicthen as a dishwasher/prep cook. which i have done before, i havent even worked a day yet and they said they need to get a line cook in there asap an im the only one with experience ::i have my associates in culinary arts/restaurant mgt.:: so yeah I'm excited but at the same time I'm wondering what suprises are in store lol.

7. jermaine jones

jermaine jones

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Cool and good luck.

I'm actually debating on whether to apply to some places like that.  I have a couple right down the street from me.  (Chilis, Logans, Ruby Tuesday, Ol Charleys, & Cracker Barrel)  no more than 3 minutes away literally.  If I applied to them all, and had a job offer from them all, Its hard to choose which one (it'll be my first time as well).. Let us know how night shift goes

8. rgm2

rgm2

Exp:
    Line Cook
    Mistakes are going to happen... it is how you pull your way out of the weeds you are bound to cause yourself that matter. Make your mistakes with dignity, accept them and keep plugging along. The hard part is to not get upset and keep a clean head even if others get mad about the mistake. Just focus, do your best, and learn from your mistakes!

9. ahilal

ahilal Guest

Hope your first day went well! Let us know how it's going. 

I second the suggestion on comfortable shoes and it is worth considering something sturdy for toe protection. Sharp and heavy things will get dropped. Otherwise, hang in there until you get calluses on your fingertips. It'll make handling hot/sharp things easier. 
    I cooked at a restaurant where the cooks supposedly got a share of the tips. However the waiters did all the accounting and dividing. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/mad.gif  I always magically received exactly 4 dollars a week in my envelope.

10. leeniek

leeniek

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Best of luck to you!  Don't feel bad about making mistakes and remember... there are never problems, only solutions when something seems to go awry. 

Keep us posted as to how things are going and welcome to the crazy world of kitchen work!

11. jermaine jones

jermaine jones

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Any update on how it's going?

12. srmax

srmax

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    Congrats on the new gig, alexzander70!

Since I work for SR Max and we partner with Chili's to provide footwear, I'm interested to hear about the environment in the kitchen there. Are other cooks wearing safety-toe footwear, like ahilal suggested? What shoes did you end up going with, and how do you like them?

Is it typical to start out your culinary career in a position like to gain experience? Seems like a smart idea, low barrier of entry and quick experience in fast-paced environment. Good luck, looking forward to hearing more about it!