Starting new Job Help!!

Joined Oct 14, 2001
Am starting new job in a much larger restaurant, am so nervous as my previous kitchen (am a cook) was small and only two needed to control kitchen.
Iam entering a kitchen with seven cooks, ....any advice for nerves?? please help! The possibiklity of "screwing up" is worrying me.
Thanks, Joy

Joined Oct 13, 2001
Hey Joyearth , my advice to you is to get a menu before you start and to keep a pocket notebook and pen with you to make quick notes with, while you work . Learn the menu before you start and this will help you greatly . This sounds like a great place to learn with so many cooks I would go in and work real hard , take the initiative with the things you allready know and show them that you are there to do whatever it takes to get the job done . Remember to walk the walk before you talk the talk and youll do
fine . Good Luck & Keep Cookin .

Joined Mar 6, 2001
Try to think of it as the same thing, it is, just a little bigger. What would you say to a person helping you in your first situation with 2 people? Just relax and follow dirrections, right?>

Try to focus and be your-self. Every kitchen has a different way to do everything, just accept that. Ask alot of questions to clarify exactly what the chef wants, until you are more familar with his kitchen. When you have a problem or are unsure let the chef know so he can help you before you even make a mistake. He'll probably keep a close eye on you (weather you realize it or not), don't be paranoid, that's his job to supervise and he'd do that with anyone new.

One thing I have learned over the years is don't snuggle up to anyone right away and don't let anyone DO IT TO YOU. Stay neutral, open and freindly to everyone.

Good Luck!

Joined Oct 14, 2001
I feel much more confident now, and will do as suggested!
I will let you know how things go!! Thanks again!

Top Bottom