starting a sweet shop

Joined Feb 6, 2010
My fiancee and I are gathering information on how to go about opening a sweet shop. at first we had the idea to start an online business as that can generate an income between $5000.00 to $25000.00 per month, but to do this we are in need of a commercial kitchen. So here comes my question. Is there any way to turn my residential kitchen into a commercial kitchen? if so, what do I need to do? Your feedback is much appreciated.
Joined Sep 5, 2008
I don't think you can have a commercial kitchen in a residential neighborhood. Maybe you should look into renting a restaurant or bakery's kitchen?
Joined Feb 1, 2007
You would need both business and health department permits for this. The rules, in both cases, change venue to venue.

First thing I'd do is check the zoning, to see if you can run a business out of your home. Then I'd check with the health department to find out what would be required. Among other things, I'm sure they'll require all stainless steel appliences and work surfaces; a triple sink; etc. But it's the local officials who have the answers, so I'd start there.
Joined Oct 10, 2005
KYH always has excellent advice, your best bet would be City hall for information. Zoning and health for sure, but also plumbing. Most municipalities require a minimum of a 55 gal grease trap/interceptor, for any tye of a commercial kitchen, and if you're running any gas equipment, adequate ventialtion and fire suppression. You will also require insurance.

A long journey begins with a single step..........
Top Bottom