starting a commercial kitchen

Discussion in 'Cooking Equipment Reviews' started by dt458, Oct 23, 2012.

1. dt458

dt458

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I am in washington dc . Can any one tell me how much would it cost to make a commercial kitchen from scratch because after a lot of looking around i could not find any to rent . I do not want a shared kitchen so i decided to rent a place and get a kitchen made . Any suggestions .

2. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Not near enough info to even hazard a guess. What kind of business? What volume of business? etc? etc? etc?

3. petemccracken

petemccracken

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    • What are you going to prepare?
    • What kind of volume?
    There is no such thing as a generic or universal commercial kitchen. Each is customized depending on what is being produced.

Absolute minimum requirements:
    • 200 amp, 240 volt electrical service
    • 1 1/2" natural gas supply or equivalent LP gas supply
    • Ventilation system, hood, filters, extraction fans, make up air, probably $1,500-$3,000 per lineal foot, i.e. 8 foot hood = $12,000-$24,000
    • ANSUL (fire suppression) system, probably $4,000-$5,000 minimum
    • Impervious floor and walls
    • Separate restroom(s), dry storage, and janitorial
    • Triple sink ware washing with floor sink
    • Hand washing sink(s) with floor sink(s) (number depends on layout, workstations, etc.
    • Prep sink(s)
    • Mop sink
    • Refrigeration, walk-ins, reach-ins (depends on what and how much product you are producing)
    • Cook tops, ovens, fryers, charbroilers, salamanders, stock pot range(s), smokers, sous vide, selection depends on what you are planning to cook
    As a GUESS, bare bones $50,000-$100,000, probable $150,000-$250,000

4. dt458

dt458

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Hi , Thank you for responding . I am sorry for not responding earlier . Was glued to the tv watching the debate. Anyways , i do farmers markets and as for now besides trying to expand more i am currently cooking like 50- 60 lbs of lamb and about 160 - 200 lbs of chicken and other vegetarian dishes to feed about 350 - 400 people over the weekend.

This is all North Indian food with a lot of spices .

I plan to expand my business to everyday cooking and food delivery as well. Pls advice . Thank you PeteMcCraken for your input but i was also thinking of the most cheaper way as well. Is it possible to cut down on the number and stay around 70,000