starting a coffe house

Joined May 7, 2003
i need some information on like some good schools to go, because i wanna eventually start my own coffee hous, and i need to know what to expect?????

Joined May 26, 2001
a-ron -- you might get more of a response if you post this on The Inside Scoop, or ask specifically about schools on the Culinary Students board.

When you do that, can you be a little more specific with your question? When you say "coffee house" do you mean a place that serves coffee and other beverages, and food? Or a coffee roaster, that processes and sells beans retail and wholesale?

Some advice, though: learn all you can about running a business, in general. The problem many people make when they open a restaurant is that they don't view it as a business like any other, where the most important thing is to MAKE A PROFIT and STAY IN BUSINESS. That requires math and language skills, science, history -- all the subjects that you should be learning in school. The food and beverage part is important, of course, but if you don't know how to run a business you won't stay open very long.

Hope this helps.

Joined Feb 19, 2003
I don’t know too much about schools you can attend but this is a common business so I am sure that there are plenty of good sources of information. The key to any business is in the research. Learn as much as you can about the business. A great source for general business information is the Small Business Association (SBA.gov) and SCORE. You may want to take a class on starting a business threw them.
Pay particular attention to marketing. No mater how great your coffee is going to be no one will know about it if you don’t do a great job telling them about it.
If you want to know about the day-to-day operation of the business what could be better than hands on experience. If you have the time get a part time job at a local coffee shop and learn the ropes. Nothing could prepare you more for the reality of your new business.

Joined May 7, 2003
thanx guys!!
yeah i was thinking mainly something like a StarBucks. Just a place to go in and drink some coffe, and have a little snack. i would also want to serve some sort of pastries:chef:
i love to cook, but i dont get to do it too often.

Top Bottom