Starting a Catering Business in Charleston

Discussion in 'Jobs / Internships Postings' started by Giannasc88, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Giannasc88

Giannasc88

Exp:
    Veg chef
    Hi everyone!

I just moved to the Charleston area and after working almost every type of job in the food industry, I'm ready to take the next step. Is there anyone else who would be interested in doing this with me? I suppose I could start alone but I feel like a partner or partners would help this get off the ground. If you're in a similar boat and want to discuss this endeavour please reply or message me.

Thank you!

2. chefwriter

chefwriter

Exp:
    Professional Cook
    I"m not in your area but I'll suggest reading posts on this site about partnerships. I have no doubt you can find plenty of catering business but a good partner will be tough. If you do, make sure everything is spelled out in precise detail in the partnership agreement. If possible, be the sole owner and hire management to help you run the business. There are several very experienced caterers on this site who can provide much better detailed answers to both issues.

3. Giannasc88

Giannasc88

Exp:
    Veg chef
    Thank you for your reply. I agree I would prefer to be the sole owner and hire staff. I guess I am just a little nervous about actually marketing myself and was hoping someone else would be able to help with this, as well as having money to put into the business. Maybe I will just start slow and see how things work out!

4. chefwriter

chefwriter

Exp:
    Professional Cook
    If you can handle keeping the math straight, you can also get a silent partner, one who puts up some money. Working out how and when they get paid back is the tough part but that all depends on the two of you.
    Hopefully one of the other more experienced self employed caterers on here can offer better insight on details but I will suggest that, depending on how big the population is where you live, getting jobs shouldn't be hard if you produce a great product and can deliver the goods on time, every time.
    You probably shouldn't expect to make any money at first, what with buying equipment as you find you need it, etc. but remember that you need to get paid too. All too often small business owners get the business going but neglect paying themselves for too long. Your pay is just as much a business expense as anything else.
    And a sales tax account. Get one set up with your bank soon. That money may not be much per day but adds up fast.
    Make sure you get advice from a good accountant, especially on structuring yourself/business as a corporation, tax breaks for vehicles, other deductions, etc.
    I wouldn't spend too much on marketing, advertising. Word of mouth, passing out flyers and menus will be a great help.