Starter difference

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by wuzzo87, Nov 4, 2005.

1. wuzzo87

wuzzo87

Hi,

I've just started on sourdoughs. :bounce:

I'm wondering if a starter made with rye flour would impart the same character in breads as a starter made with whole wheat.
    I read reinhart's book saying that a starter from Egypt or Russia or other countries would ultimately be the same as a starter made from scratch.
    So, i'm wondering if it's the same if it's made of different flours.

Also, can starters be made from other grains too? like barley, buckwheat, etc?

2. jock

jock

Exp:
    At home cook
    I would think that once you start on a regular feeding program for your starter the level of non white flour component will diminish to trace amounts only and it won't make a difference.

Jock

3. kylew

kylew

Exp:
    Home Chef
    In a word, no. It really depends on what your asking. Reinhart, and others, begin their starters with rye to get them jump started. The rye is only used for the first day or two. After that the starters are fed a steady diet of wheat flour. As Jock points out, the rye and it's characteristics quickly disappear.

On the other hand, if you are talking about a starter that is begun and maintained with rye, it will bear no resemblance in flavor or behavior to a wheat starter.

4. wuzzo87

wuzzo87

Oh i see.
    So if they're both made with different bases but fed the same food, they'll ultimately taste the same? Only if they're constantly fed with different food then they'll be different right?

*sigh..in that case i dun think i could mantain a rye starter due to the difficulty in finding rye flour in my area! (i finally found it 2 days ago and bought everything there!..hahaha) :p