Started My Starter

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by kylew, Jul 2, 2001.

1. kylew

kylew

Exp:
    Home Chef
    Well the organic whole wheat flour, diastatic barley malt, honey and raisin water have been mixed according to Peter Reinhart's instructions in Crust and Crumb. My fingers are now securely crossed :)

Tomorrow night I am going to start a second starter according to Nancy Silverton. My electric bill may never be the same as I fear AC is the only way to regulate the temp in my NYC shoebox.

Film @11!

2. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Good for you!I'm sure it will be a success. Stay cool :cool:

3. monpetitchoux

monpetitchoux

Kyle: the energy situation is one more reason on my list of why I should move back to NY. Enjoy your ac while it's relatively cheap. I'm sweatin' it out here in California. It's so hot, I start my yeast from cold tap water so the proofing doesn't go berserk even if I bring it downstairs to the garage.

4. thebighat

thebighat

I'm glad to see you're starting both of them. If you look at The Bread Builders by Daniel Wing, he kind of takes a shot at Silverton's method. I started construction of my backyard brick oven yesterday. Also found a throwaway camera at work so I've been taking pix of stuff that I'll share when I get it developed, if I don't lose it.

5. kimmie

kimmie

Looking forward to results and pix.

:D

6. kylew

kylew

Exp:
    Home Chef
  7. kimmie

kimmie

KyleW,

Just been on your website. Wow, this is so much fun. Will you keep it up, every day?

P.S.: Raisin water :confused:

8. kylew

kylew

Exp:
    Home Chef
    I'm going to give it my best shot! Raisin water is a cup of raisins soaked in 2 cups of warm water for 15 minutes. Then strain off 1 cup.

9. kylew

kylew

Exp:
    Home Chef
    A Question...

Both at the end of the first 24 hours and now, after adding th Day 2 ingredients, the starter seems to have separated into almost "curds and whey". Is this normal or do I need to go back to Square One?

Thanx

10. thebighat

thebighat

Just keep going. If you start freaking out and throwing it away and starting over, you ain't never gonna eat that bread. BTW, I'm telling Peter Reinhart, if I can fiqure out Outlook Express.

11. kylew

kylew

Exp:
    Home Chef
    You help me with my starter and I'll help you with Outlook Express, that's what I do for a living :)

As long as you say don't sweat the separation, I won't!

Thanx

12. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    It will keep separating for about 10 days, and then you'll see it bubble up, especially after it's had its longer (overnight) rest.

I took pictures of my starter, but I don't know if I can attach them here. Anybody know if that's possible?

13. kylew

kylew

Exp:
    Home Chef
    I tried to cut and paste an image here but coulldn't pull it off. I also tried to insert an image link to a pic on my home page but that didn't work either. I'll figure it out.

Reinhart's recipe is for the starter to be ready after 5 days. I'm trying to put this into momoreg's 10 scenario. :confused:

PS I just read the FAQ section. Seems like attaching files is a no-no. It presents a security risk. I could have sworn that the copy/paste trick used to work.

[ July 03, 2001: Message edited by: KyleW ]

14. kimmie

kimmie

Momoreg,

With respect to your starter, keep on going. At a certain point, it will look and smell absolutely disgusting, especially the Silverton one. I understand you are doing the grape in cheesecloth method?

[ July 04, 2001: Message edited by: Kimmie ]

15. kylew

kylew

Exp:
    Home Chef
  16. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Is that a whole wheat starter? Looks like it.

You CAN use a starter after 5 days, but you won't get the same amazing results, as if you waited 2 weeks. And there is a visible difference between a 5-day-old and a 10-day-old.

On the other hand, the method I use begins with grapes in cheesecloth. I have never done it as you describe, beginning w/ raisin water.

Just curious; have you begun your daily feedings? I find that is what really transforms it into a living, breathing creature. Before that, it's just a "bucket of stink", as the sous as work eloquently refers to it.

17. kylew

kylew

Exp:
    Home Chef
    The Crust & Crumb starter begins with a cup of whole wheat flour. After that it is fed with unbleached bread flourn for 5 days and is then ready for use.

The grapes and cheese cloth approach is described in Nancy Silverton's book Breads From the La Brea Bakery. It is a 14 day process as she describes it. I have her book, grapes and cheese cloth on my counter :)

To The Big Hat: You weren't kidding about telling Peter Reinhart, were you :)

18. thebighat

thebighat

No, I wasn't. I just got mail from him and he's said he's gonna be watching you. He really is a nice guy. I wouldn't settle for that loaf of bread on your web page. You apparently didn't make, so I feel safe saying that. The first time I baked a sourdough from his book, it came out very much like the one on the cover. Follow his method and you'll get the same results. I took pictures all week at work, going out now to get them developed if Walgreens is open. Otherwise tomorrow. I made incredible looking and tasting stuff today, on a deadline no less. I had to push the baguettes a little to have them ready, but they came out beautiful.

19. kylew

kylew

Exp:
    Home Chef
    I am looking for a better pic. It seems that Peter and I may become PenPals. How great is this place? Where else am I going to get hooked up with the Chef whose book I'm playing with?

For those of you keeping score at home, the Day 2 results are posted at:
    http://pages.zdnet.com/kwarendorf/wi...ari/index.html

Thanks again TBH!

20. thebighat

thebighat

Talk about duuuuhhh. I just went to walgreen's and decided not to have the film done now because there are 9 frames left on the roll which I don't want to waste. And I'm sweating on what to do, develop and print and then scan on the nifty kodak thingie there, or have a cd made, except that the images are huge, and all the time there's a schtoopid logitech camera hitched to this dumb puter! I've never used it with good lighting.BTW, I make a double batch of Reinhart's poolish on page 32 of the book almost every day and that separation happens every time. If you notice, a lot of his pizza and focaccia formulas don't use the whole 50 oz. I scaled them up so they do, and then I double that. It gives me either a full sized sheet pan of focaccia, or 10 loaves of bread, which I shape like a ciabatta.