Chef Forum banner

Starbucks Vanilla Cupcake Frosting

10K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  miss jane 
#1 ·
I posted this on the Professional Pastry Chef forum as well.
I was just curious if anyone knew anything about Starbucks Vanilla Cupcakes. The cupcake itself is nothing special--just a solid yellow cake--but the frosting is very good. It has vanilla bean in it and tastes slightly sour. The cupcake itself is rimmed with raw sugar. I am trying to figure out the frosting. Anybody know anything about these? Thanks

#2 ·
i would reccomend trying a buttercream frosting, but tweak it a little bit. like add the vanilla bean. i would then reccomend adding or folding in a whipped buttermilk, or even whipped creme friache (i know i butchered that spelling probably... and do those things even whip?) and i am sure you have an excellent buttercream, being a pastry chef and all... anyway, i think that might get you somewhere close to where you want to be, it might take a bit more tweaking than that... maybe even some vanilla extract in that as well... thats just my 2 cents on the idea, it sounds good though. if you decide to experiment with it at all, let us know how it goes.

...or maybe a touch of lemon juice...

#3 ·
Could the sour be from cream cheese with a little vanilla bean added to the vanilla extract?

PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese Frosting
PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe

Prep Time: 10 min
Total Time: 10 min
Makes: 2-1/2 cups or 20 servings, 2 Tbsp. each
1 pkg. (8 oz.) PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese, softened
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter or margarine, softened
1 tsp. vanilla
1 pkg. (16 oz.) powdered sugar (about 4 cups), sifted

BEAT cream cheese, butter and vanilla in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended.

ADD sugar gradually, beating until well blended after each addition.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.