Standard sourdough in a pullman pan

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by rpooley, Feb 10, 2018.

1. rpooley

rpooley

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Has anyone ever tried this? I was looking for a way to make longer loaves of sourdough, rather than the typical big round boule. One thing I have done is baked it in a fish poacher, keeps the long shape during the final rise and it can be covered in the first half to build up some steam. Works well.

I was curious if I could use a pullman pan to get a square loaf. It seems like I could bake about 500g of the bulk fermented dough and cook like pan de mie in a 14 inch Pullman pan. I think the pan would have to be oiled though. I also realize that the crust would not be the typical crunchy sourdough free-form type.

Thoughts? Thanks

2. Pat Pat

Pat Pat

Exp:
    Chef Emeritus
    I've tried it before (ate, not made) so you can definitely do it if you so desire.

By the way, I always oil my Pullman pan no matter what kind of dough is used.

3. chefwriter

chefwriter

Exp:
    Professional Cook
    No reason the Pullman pan wouldn't work. I always oil mine too. You could pull the bread out of the pan once it's set and let it brown some more to intensify the crust. I don't know exactly if that would work but it's worth a try.

4. kylew

kylew

Exp:
    Home Chef
    AD4F4069-5E62-4BA0-85BA-70C4C90210F8.jpeg 54AF21C6-EDB1-4324-AD8A-B4ECDCA19FDE.jpeg

I’ve never tried sourdough in pullman pan. I make sandwich loaves though.
    They rise in long rather than round baskets.