Stainless Steel Issue !!!!!

Joined Aug 10, 2013
I have trouble with my stainless-steel pans. I had to sear some tenderloin last night had about 2 lbs of medallions. Wound up doing it in 3 small batches. By the time I was done the sides of the pan were completely covered in black carbon! It was so bad I could not deglaze the pan like I hoped. So I finished it in another pan, It came out ok. But I felt it did lose some flavor like that. I used to be a line cook back in the day. I used to use aluminum sauté pans do not remember that happening. Any idea how I could conquer that?
I don't mind buying something else.

Joined Mar 1, 2017
It may not be the pan. From the limited description, it may be an issue with the size of the pan and the temperature level. The pan should be screaming hot with a bit of high smoke point fat in it and the tenderloin should be room temperature. This should produce a good sear.

Ideally, the steal pan should be made of a good, heavy gauge steel with a heat conductive core such as a copper or aluminum for best results. Cast iron would also be an excellent choice.

The heat source must also be taken into account. Electric burners heat differently than gas etc. From the fact that you had carbon around the edges suggests your heat source (probably gas?) may have been too high for too long. More information regarding the heat source and pan would be helpful. :)

When searing in batches, the pan should be cleared of any left over residue/juices etc that will burn when searing the next batch. Whenever possible, I try to save any bits and drippings and set them aside to make a pan sauce with cold chunks of butter/herbs etc after I'm done searing.

Cheers! :)

Joined Nov 27, 2012
Deglazing after every batch would be my advice after reading the original question.

But then there was the flour question.
So now I am blaming the flour.
There should be no flour at all. If you did that it would burn instantly(or the next best thing) and make that carbon that you were talking about.

Joined Aug 10, 2013
No flour on the beef got ya deglaze between batches yes make a lot of sense ! BTW what is your favorite shallow round pan ?

Joined Dec 18, 2010
Pans, plural. You should have several in several sizes. For home use, at least 2 8 inch and 2 12 inch. Favorite, though, is blue/black steel for searing as you needed to do.

I really think a lot of folks are over-doing the heat for “high-heat searing” as well as using the wrong pan. The pan needs to be hot and not lose too much heat but not be near molten.

Another factor… meat temp…

Joined Aug 4, 2000
I use both cast iron and carbon steel pans for searing. And for some reason I don't know the reason why but stainless steel just doesn't sit well with me.

Joined Aug 10, 2013
I agree and have both but what happens if you need to introduce whine vinegar or lemon juice!
Not so good with those options?

Latest posts

Top Bottom