stained steel

Discussion in 'Cooking Equipment Reviews' started by momoreg, Dec 28, 2002.

1. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    I recently had some jack*** working in my house, who wasn't too bright. He poured muriatic acid into my sink, and now there are grey spots all over the stainless steel. Any ideas, other than legal action? (that's not out of the question, BTW).

2. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Momo,
    That sks, I'm pretty sure that you can have someone come out and brush the stainless and then buff it again. Give the jack--- the heads up so he can pay for it.

3. thebighat

thebighat

We had some similar maroons cleaning a kitchen I once worked in that had had a fire. With big fans going, they used spray bottles of muriatic acid, which of course dispersed all over the room and etched the nice old-fashioned stainless steel cabinets badly. I think a green scrubbie and some comet will do it. Or get some industrial strength scotchbrite pads. Machinists use them to polish things. You'll have to do the entire sink, but it should work.

4. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Thanks, guys. I'm going to try soft scrub before Comet. That's a good idea. I was using metal cleaners, which did nothing. Panini, I was thinking of calling a professional 'metal person', but I didn't know where to look.

On a side note: When I caught the idiot pouring the acid down the drain, I yelled at him, and he said 'yeah, maybe I should pour it outside in the yard'. So I stopped him from doing that, and ruining the lawn, and instead, he poured it onto the street. Stupid!

I stopped payment on their check until the matter has been cleared up.

5. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Momo,
    We just redid or kitchen so I called the counter guys and posed your question. They said they would probably use scotchbrites.
    They said they woiuld start with green and gradually move towards maroon. Not sure where to find these, and not sure if they know what they're talking about. They seemed to.
    They also said they would use a palm sander to do it. HTH

6. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Thank you, pan...I appreciate the help.:)

7. thebighat

thebighat

Look in the local yellow pages under machine shops. They buy the things by the case. I've never seen anything last so long as a dish scrubber as one of these scotchbrites. And I don't know if I'd bother going from one grade to another. You're not making the mirror for Hubble II here. It's a sink. Keep it simple.

8. momoreg

momoreg

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Funny.:)

I'll do that. Thanks, TBH.

9. thebighat

thebighat

Maroon is the color we use at the shop where I sometimes help a friend gouge aluminum.