Stabilized whipped cream for roll cake

Discussion in 'Pastries & Baking' started by chrislehrer, Jun 6, 2017.

1. chrislehrer

chrislehrer

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I'm going to be making a rolled genoise, which I'd like to fill with what amounts to sweetened whipped cream studded with strawberries. This is very popular in Japan, where my son (the birthday boy) got hooked on it.

My problem is that the cake is going to have to sit for several hours, perhaps overnight in the fridge. So the cream has to be stabilized somehow.

Maida Heatter adds warm dissolved gelatine solution to semi-beaten cream sweetened with jam. I have seen several other variations on this theme. I've also seen ultra-stable formulations using carrageenan and such, which works so well with dairy, where you make it into a block and shear it into a light fluid gel.

Anyone here actually done this sort of thing and have a definite recommendation?

2. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I personally don't add anything to my whipped cream before rolling it in the Genoise. If properly whipped, the cream will be stable, even for over night.

My issue here would be with the strawberries which may bleed and screw things up for you.

Even if you add gelatin to the cream, the berries will still weep.

Solution would be to slice the berries very thin to keep the weeping to a minimum. Use the gelatin. 

chefpeon and drirene like this.
  3. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Unless making and serving immediately I use stabilized whipped cream. Would rather have fruit color bleeding than melting whipped cream.

4. flipflopgirl

flipflopgirl

Exp:
    Retired Hospitality
    Gelatin and I don't always get along when stabilizing whipped cream.
    About half the time I end up with those nasty little rubber balls lol.
    Most of the time I add in 10x powdered sugar and it works great.
    Surprisingly it is not too sweet.
    You will need to sift it first as any lumps will stay that way.
    I also like to start off with cold tools so I park the bowl and beaters in the freezer for a couple of hours.

mimi

5. foodpump

foodpump

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    A lot depends on the fat content of the cream. 32% will deflate much quicker than 36%. Many old school cooks believe in slow whipping the cream, the slower, the more stable the whipped cream. It does seem to work.

I dissolve my gelatin in a bit of syrup, and add this to half whipped cream in a thin stream, with the whip going as slow as possible , then boot it into high until stiff.

drirene likes this.
  6. mamatkamal

mamatkamal

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    I add some milk powder and more icing sugar to stabilize my cream. Sometimes especially when it's too warm, I add some gelatine powder.

7. petalsandcoco

petalsandcoco

Exp:
    Private Chef
    I use gelatine . I've know some to use Clear gel or Xanthum gum. I get clear gel but I wonder what a test recipe would be like using the XG ?

8. justfeedme

justfeedme

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Any other suggestions on stabilizing whipped cream? I also have had bad luck with gelatin. Little rubber pieces. Where would you buy stabilized whipped cream? Does anyone have experience with the clear gel?

Thanks in advance!

9. chrislehrer

chrislehrer

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I'm surprised nobody has mentioned carrageenan, which gels in contact with calcium and is supposed to be especially good with dairy products. But since I haven't shelled out for the huge Modernist book, I don't know exactly how to use it.

10. justfeedme

justfeedme

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Thanks! Maybe someone will see your post and chime in with experience using carrageenan. That sounds interesting.

11. chrislehrer

chrislehrer

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    Justin Logsdon of Amazing Food Made Easy says, boiling it down to essentials:

To thicken a dairy liquid, add .02-.04% weight Iota Carrageenan to the cool liquid. If the liquid is to be quite sweet, add the sugar later, as carrageenan doesn't play well with sugar. Disperse the carrageenan with a blender or mixer if at all possible. Heat liquid above 70C/158F to hydrate. Cool and it will thicken.

Note that if you didn't whip it very thoroughly you may need to strain it.

12. Baker Beach

Baker Beach

Exp:
    Bakery Owner
    Piping gel is fine and leaves no weird aftertaste, but you probably don't need to go to the expense. For me, corn syrup (about a teaspoon per cup of cream) is just as effective and doesn't change the taste or the texture noticeably. For a lot of people the whipped cream stays stable with just confectioners sugar, but I don't have the confidence that it will work every time, and feel the need to add something. I know its paranoid :) I've not had good luck with the gelatin method -- haven't been able to hit that perfect note of still liquid and pourable but not yet set and always wind up with little gelatin balls. Good luck!!

13. chefpeon

chefpeon Kitchen Dork

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef 27 years
    All these answers are good, but honestly? You don't have to stabilize whipped cream if it is used as a filling and is eaten within 48 hours. You really don't.

flipflopgirl, fatcook and drirene like this.
  14. harpua

harpua

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    I use gelatin and have always had great success. I dissolve it, heat it with a tiny bit of cream, and then kind of dribble it on the mixing whipped cream like you would a syrup. It should be cooled a bit.

My favorite stabilizer is called Kappa, which I believe is carageenan like some others are mentioning. I heat it with sugar and cream to 80C, then it must chilled for a good while to absorb and thicken. After that, it whips into a lovely, buttery stable cream. I add mascarpone for a quick tiramisu filling.

chrislehrer likes this.