St. Louis, MO

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by marzoli, Mar 7, 2006.

1. marzoli

marzoli

Sometime this summer, we plan to take a few days in St. Louis. Anyone have any suggestions for some good, authentic Italian retaurants that are reasonably priced, but still good? I don't mean cheap. I just mean we can't afford a FOODIE experience. I'm sure there are some great places to get real Italian food in St. Louis since I have been told there is a part of the city that has a big Italian population. I just don't know where it is or what to look for.
    What passes for Italian food around here is more like ketchup over macaroni! I'd love some really good food.
    And on another topic--can anyone tell me good Indian restaurant in St. Louis. We no longer have an Indian restaurant here and I really miss that food.

2. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Hiya Marzoli, long time no read!

I rarely eat Italian food out....

Gian-tony's is good Italian, Trattatoria Marcella is superb....get reservations,
    Liluma in the CWE has pasta is open for lunch and at dinner has a $32 4 course menu again with the reservations....though you could chance a walkin here (if they have roasted cauliflower orrechetta with pancetta GET IT or the Kobe burger and house fries).

I've not eaten at Bar Italia in years but they have outdoor seating.....and are busy.

For comfort, great local food and median (entree's mainly in the teens with 2 sides) prices, best wine in town Riddles in the LOOP.

Tues-Thurs, An American Place has a tasting menu......high end great restaurant. $35ish.

3. marzoli

marzoli

Thanks, shroomgirl! It's good to hear from you. I hope this summer we actually do get to St. Louis. I really need a "city" trip!
    Do you remember Bella Italia in Cape Girardeau? It burned! They have rebuilt in the same place, but it's just not the same. Unfortunately for us, we don't think the food is as good-and they dropped some of our most favorite items from the menu. Oh well. We still go there. That's life--things change!

4. shroomgirl

shroomgirl

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Try Celebrations....I wrote an article about their chef a few years ago, he is an amazing guy.

There's also a good Thai place (with sushi) in Cape.

I've been working with a pork farmer in your area and want to come check out the farms down there.