St. Joseph's Day Pastries..

Joined Nov 29, 2001
Anyone got any favorite recipes for zeppole or sfingi? I've searched on the net and have found some but I'm looking for T&T family recipes passed down by grandparents on bits of yellow paper with barely understandable words.

TIA.

Joined Nov 29, 2001
Come on, there have to be some paesani out there with favorite recipes for these staple St. Joseph's Day items!

:bounce:

Joined Apr 19, 2001
Chif, saw your post yesterday, but didn't have time to respond!

These from the 'The North End Italian Cookbook' (North End of Boston that is). I love this cookbook; simple, no-frills, traditional Italian-American cooking.

Zeppole

1 3# can of Crisco for frying
2 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups milk
2 cups unbleached flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
confectioners' sugar

Heat shortening in deep, wide fryer to 350.

Combine eggs, milk, flour, baking poweder, and salt. Mix thoroughly to form a smooth dough.

When dough is pliable, drop by heaping taplespoonfuls into hot oil. Fry til golden brown on both sides; remove and drain on paper towels. When cool, sprinkle with confectioners sugar.
Makes about a dozen.

Carnevale Sfinge

2 cups oil for frying

1 1/2 cups flour
pinch of salt
3 tsp. baking powder
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 small eggs
1/2 cup water
cinnamon (optional)

Heat oil to 350 in large, heavy pot.

Sift flour,s lt, baking powder, and 1/4 cup of the sugar together.

In a small bow, whisk the eggs and water, and blend into dry ingredients.

Dip a tablespoon into a glass of water, and fill it with a heap of batter. Slide the batter into the hot oil and fry til golden brown.

Drain, and roll in remaining sugar (and cinnamon if desired) while still hot. Makes about 12 puffs.

Joined Apr 19, 2001
You're welcome, chiffonade - whew, just looked at my post and saw the typos - my apologies!

Joined Nov 29, 2001
I think we're all able to decipher "food typos." ;)

Now if I can lay my hands on a can of Pasta Con Sarde condimento, I'll be set for St. Joe's. (I have family back east who can ship me a can. Love the stuff.)

Latest posts

Top Bottom