square truffles

Discussion in 'Professional Pastry Chefs' started by anna w., Jun 22, 2002.

1. anna w.

anna w.

Can anyone tell me how to make them? I saw them at www.elegantcheesecakes.com

I like the way they look but can't imagine how to keep them looking square! Thanks!!!!!!!!

2. lotuscakestudio

lotuscakestudio

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Looks like she used a mold. Temper chocolate, make truffle shell in square mold, let set, fill with ganache, seal bottom with more chocolate. Just like for making bon bons or other candies with fillings.

3. m brown

m brown

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    pour amount of ganach into a lined pan, let set. top with another flavor, let set. finish with a third flavor, let set.
    you may also like to use metal candy "bars" to keep the uniform hight.
    when cool and firm, use a guitar or wire or knife to cut truffle into squares. enrobe with tempered couveture and set.
    or before cutting you can "ice" the top of the block of truffle with tempered couveture then cut to squares so the layering is shown off. enjoy!:lips:

4. lotuscakestudio

lotuscakestudio

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    LOL! Duh, m, that is actually in my notes from school. Now why didn't I think of that? Hahaha.

5. psycholucy

psycholucy

m brown: i've never heard of candy "bars". i understand the application, but could you describe what they look like and also how you use them?

6. m brown

m brown

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    they are heavy metal bars used to make uniform layers ie. marzipan, turffle, tart dough etc...