Squab?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by teamfat, Aug 26, 2013.

1. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    So browsing through one of the freezer cases at the Asian market I saw they got in some squab.  Never had any, never cooked it.  Seems like it would be a delicate ingredient, easy to overcook.  Is it worth 12 bucks to give one a try?

mjb.

2. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    What a coincidence.  Watching an old episode of Iron Chef America, and there's these roast squab bits laying on a beautiful risotto - hmmm.

mjb.

3. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    That’s sounds interesting mjb.  I too have seen squab in our Asian Market, though I didn’t look at the price.  On my next adventure in to town I will take a gander.  As I do not watch Iron Chef, was the bird butter flied first?  And then roasted in the oven I assume, what about on a grill with some smoke?

4. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I couldn't say if it had been butterflied or just cut into pieces before roasting or afterwards.

I guess now I'll have to get one and report back.

mjb.

5. chefedb

chefedb

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    You take out all bones except leg bone(if your good you could do them to. It almost always is automatic butterfly if boned correctly

6. kaneohegirlinaz

kaneohegirlinaz

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    @chefed, thank you!  I'm not sure if I would be de-boning or just mangling the poor little birdie

@mjb, yes please!  With pictures too, please

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  7. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    Okay, maybe this coming weekend, after I get the tomato challenge out of my system.  I want to get to that particular market early enough to get a photo of the char siu and bbq duck hanging in the warmer.

Stay tuned.  And I promise a bit better camera work than that shot of pork nuggets I did earlier.

mjb.