Spring wine list, what do you think?

Discussion in 'Pairing Food and Wine' started by chef david simpson, Jan 30, 2001.

1. chef david simpson

chef david simpson

I want to know, what are your favorite wines in the Spring time? Mid to high cost in gen. I have a new menu brewing up and need your advisement. I do not drink, so it's impossible for me to know what's good and bad out there. Most of my clients give out-of-step ideas to what they want and some prefer a certian product from a certian place and I try to get it at any cost to please their spacification. So, please help in my search for the best wine at the best cost. Thank you in advance.

2. chef david simpson

chef david simpson

Thanks for the advice everyone.

3. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hi CDS,

Can you give me a little "taste" as to what your spring menu will be?
    There are certainly many wonderful wines availible in the spring. I can even try to recommend a specific wine to each of your menu items if you like.
    Let me know
    cc

4. chef david simpson

chef david simpson

Right now, I would like to focus on vegetable dishes. eggplant parm. vegge terrines. Most cliental want vegges in the Spring, and most are basic, such as what I have noted atop. We'll start from here. CC, as well as sources where I can get four cases at a time please. aged at least 5-10 years. Clients love the age effect. they don't like immature wine, none of them....Hey, I just noticed I have 500 posts!!

[This message has been edited by Chef David Simpson (edited 02-06-2001).]

5. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I foresee a challenge or two.
    Let's first consider your vegetables.
    Eggplant i would consider a fall vegetable or at least late summer. Think of ramps, baby leeks and beets early tender greens.
    Get your hands on some cherries in April and do something with fresh goat cheese. Ah the first shrooms of the season [​IMG] do a wild mushroom lasagna instead of eggplant Parm. Think of every possible way to use a tomato becouse before you no it they'll be knockin at your door, simply sliced or diced with fruity olive oil alittle kosher salt and milled pepper with come brushetta. Or spring vidilia onions roasted whole with some type of lamb from sonoma or colorado. Take a day or two off if you can and take a drive up north...viset the farmers,get inspiration (northern Cali)make this spring time menu the best and most creative you have ever done.
    Then think about the flavors and the wines will follow.
    cc

6. chef david simpson

chef david simpson

Ah man, you got me going now! I think of many things where Spring is concerned. Know that eggplant parm. was to show the simplicity of taste I want to consider putting on the menu this year. (eggplant parm WAS a little damp in measure, wasn't it?) Catering is far more advanced in some cases then I want to or like to mention. Such as, prep time, cooking time and the ever so drastic communacation problems I have with the clients' guest list. Catering is an art in my asspect and should become a little more simplistic then it is now. Like the elaberence(i neeed the spill cheek) of the tomato, you suggested. However, I'm apt to provide clients with whatever they want or need, that is my business. But, I just wish I could tone everything down a little. Do you understand where I'm coming from Brad?
    I must submit this menu in three weeks and I'm ready, I can't believe this.

7. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    David,

I do certainly understand the challenges associated with offsite catering. many years ago I was the Exec chef for one of the largest catarers in CT. There are logistacle problems involved that are very different then a restaurant. But you kind of lost me in regards to what you are trying to do!
    Are you looking to simplefy your offerings to your clients? Which is fine to do things that you absolutly know you can manage and pull off perfectly. Sometimes the simpler the better. However...Always stay creative with your simplicity (make sence?). There are a million ways to WOW your clients without going over the top and sacrifeing cost. I am not sure if i'm on the right track and if this is useful to you David?
    Let me know if there is anyother way I can help
    cc