Spraying croissant dough between folds?

Discussion in 'Professional Pastry Chefs' started by hajima, Jun 5, 2017.

1. hajima

hajima

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef
    Hi.

Im making croissants for the first time at a new bakery and their method is to brush off excess flour from the dough and then spray it with water between folds, I assume to help the layers stick together. Ive been watching youtube videos and reading articles and havent seen this done anywhere else.

Any chance this is lowering product quality?

2. chefpeon

chefpeon Kitchen Dork

Exp:
    Professional Pastry Chef 27 years
    I honestly don't think it will hurt anything, but it's completely unnecessary. The spraying part anyway. Brushing the excess flour off though is standard procedure.

Chrisopotamus likes this.
  3. dueh

dueh

Exp:
    Professional Baker
    It seems like an unneeded extra step. Being new I wouldn't say anything yet, but down the road it may be worth mentioning something along the lines of trying to laminate a small batch, cut, roll, proof, bake, and compare the results.

4. azenjoys

azenjoys

Exp:
    Line Cook Turned Professional Pastry Enthusiast
    I think Shirley Corriher (CookWise/BakeWise) recommends doing that... the idea being that the extra water creates additional steam leavening between the layers. I don't remember the whole explanation, but her books might be a good place to look for more details on the science/reasoning behind that approach.