Split calf's foot versus gelatin?

Joined Dec 30, 1999
For a friend:

For all of those French recipes that call for a calf's foot, what's the equivalent gelatin content if using packets or leaf gelatin?

Joined May 26, 2001
Wow, good question! Is the purpose in the recipe(s) just to add body, or to actually gel the resulting liquid? Right now, I can't remember how much gelatine -- either powdered or sheet -- it takes to solidify 1 C of liquid, but I'll check in the morning.

BTW, my grandmother used to make Calves' Foot Jelly ("P'tchah" in Yiddish). Never saw her do it, though.

Joined Jul 24, 2001
Suzanne, my grandmother ( sefardim jew) was making foot jelly also. I think , I am almost certain though, that she was adding gelatin.
The reason I do not have the recipe is because I'd rather make a jelly with pork's head something that she used to make also and it's very spicy and tasteful.

In Easter we make Mageiritsa ( soup with lamb's entrails and lemon sauce :lips: ) and adding split foot adds BODY and makes the difference.

We have butchers and people who know how to cook add a split foot to give body mainly to soups.

It really makes the difference and I don't really think that it can be substituted with gelatin.

Joined May 26, 2001
Actually, the answer to this and all other questions can be found by following the link that Athenaeus gave.:suprise:

Joined May 26, 2001
The link I meant is:

www.shibumi.org/eoti.htm

The first time I noticed it on one of Athenaeus's posts, I absolutely HAD TO check it out, because she is so wise. And when I did, I saw that she really has the answer to life, the universe, and everything.

:look: :rolleyes: ;)

Joined May 26, 2001
Some clippings I have from the New York Times say the following:

1 envelope of powdered gelatine (e.g., Knox) = 1/4 ounce, and will jell 2 cups of liquid;
4 to 5 sheets = 1/4 ounce, and will jell 2 cups of liquid, but one might use as few as 3 for a softer texture;

and while we're at it:

2 teaspoons of powdered agar-agar = 1 ounce and will jell 1 cup of liquid;
1 stick of agar-agar = 3 ounces and jells 3 cups of liquid.

I assume by "jell" they mean so that it sets up and holds its shape when unmolded. Not necessarily feels like rubber (that was the month-old Jell-o we'd find at the back of the fridge...:rolleyes: )

Does anyone else know if there is a standard "power" for calves' feet? Wouldn't it depend on the size, the age, the amount of cartilage, and so on? I'll look a little further anon -- maybe Madeline Kamman has something to say about it.

Joined Jul 24, 2001
Suzanne, deep in my heart I was hoping that you wouldn't answer to cchiu's question. By why feel pitty of me and let it go? I don't do this for anyone here :rolleyes:

You are right! Aliens know many things!!
alieneyesa.gif

Even how many calf's feet you need.

Four... :)

Joined Aug 14, 2000
Having made lots of jelly from veal bones, I cannot imagine that there is a set amount that would yield the same consistency every time. Each batch is different, even though you could use the same size, amount of bones. It is more of an art than a science.

Joined Aug 14, 2000
...and BTW- differnet gelatins have different bloom ratings which will also effect the end results. Grake Lakes (formerly Greyslake) has a 225 rating.

Joined Jul 31, 2000
Hi Mike, It's been a while.

Although I am aware of the blooming ratings with gelatins...I would like to ask you to explain your post. Since most people on this site are not involved with ACF food shows.
Thanks
cc

Latest posts

Top Bottom