Split calf's foot versus gelatin?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by mudbug, Jan 10, 2002.

1. mudbug

mudbug

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    For a friend:

For all of those French recipes that call for a calf's foot, what's the equivalent gelatin content if using packets or leaf gelatin?

2. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Wow, good question! Is the purpose in the recipe(s) just to add body, or to actually gel the resulting liquid? Right now, I can't remember how much gelatine -- either powdered or sheet -- it takes to solidify 1 C of liquid, but I'll check in the morning.

BTW, my grandmother used to make Calves' Foot Jelly ("P'tchah" in Yiddish). Never saw her do it, though.

3. athenaeus

athenaeus

Exp:
    At home cook
    Suzanne, my grandmother ( sefardim jew) was making foot jelly also. I think , I am almost certain though, that she was adding gelatin.
    The reason I do not have the recipe is because I'd rather make a jelly with pork's head something that she used to make also and it's very spicy and tasteful.

In Easter we make Mageiritsa ( soup with lamb's entrails and lemon sauce :lips: ) and adding split foot adds BODY and makes the difference.

We have butchers and people who know how to cook add a split foot to give body mainly to soups.

It really makes the difference and I don't really think that it can be substituted with gelatin.

4. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Actually, the answer to this and all other questions can be found by following the link that Athenaeus gave.:suprise:

5. mudbug

mudbug

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Suzanne,

Where's the link?

6. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    The link I meant is:

www.shibumi.org/eoti.htm

The first time I noticed it on one of Athenaeus's posts, I absolutely HAD TO check it out, because she is so wise. And when I did, I saw that she really has the answer to life, the universe, and everything.

:look: :rolleyes: ;)

7. mudbug

mudbug

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Oh yes, that one...

Suzanne,

Did you ever find out?

8. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Some clippings I have from the New York Times say the following:

1 envelope of powdered gelatine (e.g., Knox) = 1/4 ounce, and will jell 2 cups of liquid;
    4 to 5 sheets = 1/4 ounce, and will jell 2 cups of liquid, but one might use as few as 3 for a softer texture;

and while we're at it:

2 teaspoons of powdered agar-agar = 1 ounce and will jell 1 cup of liquid;
    1 stick of agar-agar = 3 ounces and jells 3 cups of liquid.

I assume by "jell" they mean so that it sets up and holds its shape when unmolded. Not necessarily feels like rubber (that was the month-old Jell-o we'd find at the back of the fridge...:rolleyes: )

Does anyone else know if there is a standard "power" for calves' feet? Wouldn't it depend on the size, the age, the amount of cartilage, and so on? I'll look a little further anon -- maybe Madeline Kamman has something to say about it.

9. mudbug

mudbug

Exp:
    Culinary Instructor
    Aaahhhh. Thank you!

10. athenaeus

athenaeus

Exp:
    At home cook
    Suzanne, deep in my heart I was hoping that you wouldn't answer to cchiu's question. By why feel pitty of me and let it go? I don't do this for anyone here :rolleyes:

You are right! Aliens know many things!![​IMG]

Even how many calf's feet you need.

Four... :)

11. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Agar-agar

12. unichef

unichef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Having made lots of jelly from veal bones, I cannot imagine that there is a set amount that would yield the same consistency every time. Each batch is different, even though you could use the same size, amount of bones. It is more of an art than a science.

13. unichef

unichef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    ...and BTW- differnet gelatins have different bloom ratings which will also effect the end results. Grake Lakes (formerly Greyslake) has a 225 rating.

14. cape chef

cape chef

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Hi Mike, It's been a while.

Although I am aware of the blooming ratings with gelatins...I would like to ask you to explain your post. Since most people on this site are not involved with ACF food shows.
    Thanks
    cc