spiralizing vegatables

Joined Feb 4, 2005
Is this just a home fad or has it been done in restaurants because only spirlized veggie i seen has been curly fries. Did buy one for $10 off amazon just to give it a try. Zucchini replacing spaghetti, really the zoodles would never hold up when cooked in the sauce.

Joined Aug 12, 2017
ive seen it done as garnish here and there but as you said it doesnt hold up long, so its not really practical professionally if the product is light like zucchini add it at the last second or just pour the sauce over the delicate cut just before service and let the heat of the sauce do the cooking

Joined Oct 31, 2012
You could dip the zucchini spirals in tempura batter and deep fry them. Or any spiral cut vegetable.
They might be a good garnish on salad but raw of course. Carrots might work when cooked, just blanched.

Joined Sep 26, 2017
Spiralized veggies are mostly for home consumption. The look of it devalues the dishes on the menu and discredits the restaurant, because it's associated so much with home cooking.

Joined Jun 11, 2013
Spiralized vegetables have been one way my friends have been able to get their kids to eat vegetables . . . mostly carrots.

Joined May 5, 2010
I got one as a stocking stuffer years ago. It's still in the package unwrapped.
I do have a professional spiral machine...it's kinda a cross between a mandoline and the spiral cutter. It comes with 5 different interchangeable blades, has suction cups to keep it steady on the counter. I've done Tempura fried spiral veggies with it for years. I don't get the idea that it discredits the restaurant. I see it as a way to create a better looking plate.

Joined Feb 4, 2005
I guess a vegetarian restaurant would have good use for them but like i said closets veggie i seen was curly fries. Stores are starting to sell zucchini zoodles but the price us crazy, couple bucks for a 69 cent zucchini.

pete

Staff member
Joined Oct 7, 2001
While I think it is a fad, spiral cutting vegetables is nothing new. I worked at a place, in the 90's that was doing it, occasionally. One of my favorite ways to spiral cut zuch and y. squash and give it a quick pickle. We then placed it on top of an entree salad that contained house, hot smoked salmon. Made for a nice component to the salad and pretty garnish with a little pile sitting no top. My wife uses one at home and sometimes we the "zoodles" thing. We heat up the sauce and toss the noodles in, raw.

Joined Oct 31, 2012
I've found that those who make fun of something simply did not have the wit or cleverness to think of it first. A spiralizer is no different than any other gadget or idea. Whether or not some one can do something clever with the product is entirely an individual issue. Plenty of things people think are cool came about because some one did something unusual with something everyone else dismissed.

phatch

Staff member
Joined Mar 29, 2002
I like Dutch Babies with sauteed apples for breakfast and occasionally dessert. I can see spiralized apples being a fun twist to the dish.. No idea how they would hold up in the actual saute in that form.

Top Bottom