Spicy! What’s your favorite Hot Sauce? How do you do spicy?

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by planethoff, Jun 13, 2018.

1. planethoff

planethoff

Exp:
    Other
    I am a spice addict. I have about 20 hot sauces I use on the regular depending on entree. Back in the day, I used to make my leftovers so spicy no roommate dare touch my food. I drink Tobasco to cool down. How about you?

salty dog likes this.
  2. phatch

phatch Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    I'm not into intense heat. Panola red sauce is good. I mostly use Garlic Cholula which is pretty mild. Frank's is good flavor too without much heat.

Tabasco is just harsh tasting I don't mind the heat and as a light seasoning it's fine. But if it becomes the focus, bleah.

flipflopgirl likes this.
  3. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I just love spicy food.
    Not heat because of the heat though. They got to be a bit more complex than that.
    Tabasco is not my favourite, although it is nice in bloody mary's ;)
    I like sri racha sauce, but I generally add some chili to it.
    I don't buy a lot of hot sauces, I prefer to make my own and am always on the look-out for more ideas and recipes.
    A current one that I really like comes from the book "Burma, rivers of flavor" and it's online here: https://www.cookstr.com/Sauces/Tart-Sweet-Chile-Garlic-Sauce-Nga-Yoke-Thee-Achin.

I am growing Thai bird's eye chili's, Madam Janet chili's (related to the Scothc bonnet), some very tiny ones that I do not know the name of, some Cayenne peppers, some little round chili's that I have just planted (also nameless) and Jalapeno (which I don't like, but the plant keeps on living).

4. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food
    My favorite line of store bought hot sauces comes from Melindas. I think they are based in Costa Rico. They have been doing hot sauce since way before hot sauce was cool. Their sauces combine fresh, fruity Caribbean undertones with the unmistakable habanero flavor. Or ghost pepper. Or red savina, or scorpion, or ...

Dave's is a well known brand, but I find it more about heat than flavor. As for what I would call mild hot sauce, Tabasco is okay, but cayenne based sauces like Crystal or Louisiana Gold red sauce, half cayenne, half tabasco, are more to my liking. And the sweet heat of Pickapeppa is a classic that has been around for what, maybe 100 years?

Some of you who are into beer may be aware of the Untappd app which lets people rate and comment on various beers. The world needs something like that for hot sauces.

mjb.

planethoff likes this.
  5. salty dog

salty dog

Exp:
    At home cook
    About a third of my garden is devoted to various hot peppers. I seldom buy a hot sauce and blend most peppers into a relish. I also dehydrate a lot of them to grind and use as a powder.

planethoff likes this.
  6. millionsknives

millionsknives

Exp:
    Professional Caterer
    Hot sauce is a gimmick I never got into. I get way more use out of cooking with chili oil than I would out of vinegary hot sauces. I will cut fresh chiles if I have them. I usually do. I have a lactic acid fermented batch of thai chiles and also I make chili oil.

I have a dozen types of dried peppers around for spice rubs/blends

salty dog and flipflopgirl like this.
  7. jimyra

jimyra

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I keep Tabasco for table use. I use Louisiana or Crystal for chicken wings or marinade. I can cayenne peppers in vinegar and salt for greens. I also make a hot sauce for BBQ vinegar base with lots of dried crushed peppers and Colemans mustard. I like chili oil and visit the local Latin store for various chilies. I like spicy but not so it burns and covers the flavor of the dish.

8. planethoff

planethoff

Exp:
    Other
    @butzy I agree with you. Heat just for heat sake is stupid. (I did that in my college days to prevent others from stealing my food though). It’s all about the flavor. Although I will say my tolerance is pretty high.

I also make my own sauces, have an arsenal of dried chilies, and a good amout of picked chilies. But I still love a good hot sauce for a quick dash of flavor

@millionsknives There are a lot of hot sauces out there that aren’t really vinegary at all. With the boom of the hot sauce craze, there is practically every flavor imaginable.

My personal favorite is Pico Pica. It is hard to find outside California, but I have been addicted to it since the early 90s. There are certain things That I love that I will only make when I have it on hand because it is a key component

9. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I love spicy but don't really use hot sauce. I get there through ingredients and methods. No aversion, just the way I am wired.

drirene likes this.
  10. teamfat

teamfat

Exp:
    I Just Like Food

chrislehrer, drirene and Iceman like this.
  11. maryb

maryb

Exp:
    Semi pro/retired now
    Varies with the food it is going onto... from mild Franks all the way up to a Carolina Reaper sauce that I pull out for the guys who claim nothing is to hot. I put a drop on a chip and eat it then say "see it isn't that hot" then sit back and watch them in agony from it :angry: yes I am mean! I actually like it, fruity flavor with the high heat and good in small amounts.

planethoff likes this.
  12. capricciosa

capricciosa

Exp:
    Professional Baker, Butcher, Garde Manger
    My pantry staples are Trappey Bull & Louisiana. Tabasco is a little too vinegary for my taste. I never really liked Frank's a lot until I started eating it a lot at work since it's our house hot sauce.

For extra spicy, I like Yucateco green habanero - hotter than the usual suspects but still edible. I always have an odd bottle here and there of some of the super hot ones (Dave's, Irazu unholy trinity, etc) that get occaisonal use, but they're not daily staples in my diet like the others.

planethoff likes this.
  13. butzy

butzy

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Besides making my own, there are actually some that I buy.
    I like most sambals (more a paste than a sauce).
    Of the others, I like Nali, the garlic nali has more flavour, so I mix the normal and garlic nali.
    Sri Racha (as mentioned before).
    Nando's has some decent ones, but some are a bit one-dimensional.
    Very piri (or very pili) is quite good as well.
    No idea if some are available outside Southern Africa though

planethoff likes this.
  14. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Why do people refer to "spicy" as only hot?

1. Webster defines the word as: having the quality, flavor, or fragrance of spice
    2. Producing or abounding in spice
    3. Lively spirited
    4. Racy or salacious behavior

Spices, unlike herbs, flowers or stems, are from the seeds, fruit, bark or other plant substances.

It's like the difference between BBQ and grilling. 2 different things.
    Spicy does not mean hot all the time...

drirene and Iceman like this.
  15. aliphares

aliphares

Exp:
    Home cook
    As a table hot sauce to just put on anything, gotta be Frank's. I hate the flavor of Tabasco. I don't find either particularly hot though. For that, I usually just make my own at home and prefer using my own paste and/or fresh chillies for cooking.

16. salty dog

salty dog

Exp:
    At home cook
    I guess it's all about the context of the word's use.

Also from the Merriam-Webster site:

"Definition of spicy for English Language Learners
    • of food : flavored with or containing strong spices and especially ones that cause a burning feeling in your mouth"

planethoff likes this.
  17. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef

Yes....I read that a little further down the page......very ambiguous .

salty dog likes this.
  18. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    For off the shelf I like Garlic Cholula, some from the Pain is Good line, or some variant of Habanero/XXX blend - as long as they have flavor - that is more important than heat to me.

planethoff likes this.
  19. chrislehrer

chrislehrer

Exp:
    Cook At Home
    I often reach for Sriracha, the red rooster original brand (original in the US, anyway). Also Sichuan hot oil, Korean gochujang, and there's a nice Brazilian hot sauce I like that's mostly ground whole little red chillies.

20. doraima3875

doraima3875

Exp:
    Garde Manger
    Spicy can mean different things like hot sauce, chiles, or maybe using a lot of spices. If you were asking me about my favorite hot sauces: these are my favorites
    Gochujang
    Sriracha -rooster sauce
    Homemade Hunan Style Spicy Chili Oil with Fermented Black Bean and Garlic sauce
    Piri Piri - although not spicy but my favorite
    There is this Louisiana brand of hot sauce I really liked too
    Tabasco Chipotle
    Cholula is a mild-medium hotness to me
    Homemade Chipotle in Adobo Sauce is great! using Morita peppers.
    Frank's Red Hot sauce for fried chicken and wings, or deep-fried tofu, or can go with anything I eat.

planethoff likes this.