Spicy Tuna Maki Sushi

Joined Sep 22, 2019
I noticed at some sushi establishments the spicy tuna in their maki seems like it is very finely minced with no mayonnaise. How is this prepared? Do they just put cubes of tuna in a food processor then add a little rayu? I tried this and could not achieve the same finished product.

Joined Sep 5, 2008
Ditch the food processor and get a good knife to chop the tuna. The food processor will most likely make tuna mousse.

You can add a little bit of chopped green onions to your tuna and rayu mixture.

Joined Nov 5, 2007
My guess would be they do it with a cleaver on a cutting board. Like French Fries, I think a food processor would give too fine a chop.

When I try out a new sushi place I usually order a spicy tuna roll first. It gives you the level of spiciness the chef is working with, how much or how little the rice is seasoned, how tightly the rice is packed. If the simplest rolls aren't done well, I don't go there again.

mjb.

Joined Sep 22, 2019
I noticed at some sushi establishments the spicy tuna in their maki seems like it is very finely minced with no mayonnaise. How is this prepared? Do they just put cubes of tuna in a food processor then add a little rayu? I tried this and could not achieve the same finished product.
After a tuna is filleted a spoon is used to scoop out meat from the bones and other areas then it is finely minced. When mincing some chefs use two knives one in each hand to mince faster. If you are using a food processor just pulse it. Also the majority of sushi restaurants use mayo in their spicy tuna and if a small amount is used the person eating would probably know. The best mayo for spicy tuna is Kewpie brand. Rayu might be used by some restaurants but it is usually made with either sriracha, sambal, or some other asian chili garlic sauce.

One last thing, this is all preference but if you have good quality tuna you shouldn't mince. The tuna should be cut into thin strips and used in the maki. Higher quality tuna rolls don't use minced.

Joined Sep 22, 2019
Thank you all for your responses. Yes, I was planning on using sriracha as well as rayu. I am familiar with nakaochi, but I have limited availability of it. I can get yellowfin or bluefin. The restaurants that have the spicy tuna I am looking for are using yellowfin.

Question...if I finely chop the tuna with cleavers or other knives, how do I remove the sinew lines in the yellowfin?

Top Bottom