Spices/dried herbs for mediterranean salad?

Joined Sep 5, 2008
Originally Posted by Koukouvagia  

There will forever be dried oregano sprinkled on top of feta sitting on top of a "greek" salad.
Hi Koukovagia, I was secretly hoping you would join this discussion! So in Greece, they only put dried oregano, no other dried herb/spice? 

Joined Apr 3, 2008
Hi Koukovagia, I was secretly hoping you would join this discussion! So in Greece, they only put dried oregano, no other dried herb/spice? 
They use lots of dried herbs in greece but on salad only oregano.  Spices?  Never.  In greek cooking there's lots of always and nevers.

Last edited:
Joined Oct 2, 2010
KKV, don't know how greek it is but cheese shops over here have fresh feta but also sell feta preserved in olive oil with oregano and sometimes other stuff like tiny chopped chili.

I presume they use only dried oregano for that as well to keep the oil from going bad? Using a chunk of that delicious preserved feta always has oregano from the jar over it. Is that a common thing in Greece to preserve feta? Do you make that yourself?

Joined Jan 5, 2007
KK

On some of the Greek islands, for instance, Cyprus, Xanthe and Corfu, you can buy a little shaking pot of what is called 'Salad herbs' - dried oregano with a couple of others, I think pepper and perhaps thyme and or dill.

I also know that a lot of Greek dishes on some islands are heavily spiced with cinnamon*.  I know that I don't like to eat certain dishes on Corfu, because of that heavy cinnamon taste!  It's one of the few spices that I positively dislike to detect in savoury dishes, but adore in sweet ones.

Edited to add:  I have been told that this is the Venetian influence from when they ruled some of the Mediterranean islands.

Last edited:
Joined Feb 13, 2008
I did mean herbes de Provence.

:mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa smiley:

:so sue me, sue me, shoot bullets through me smiley:

/img/vbsmilies/smilies/lookaround.gif

:pinche cabron smiley:

BDL

Last edited:
Joined Apr 3, 2008
KK

On some of the Greek islands, for instance, Cyprus, Xanthe and Corfu, you can buy a little shaking pot of what is called 'Salad herbs' - dried oregano with a couple of others, I think pepper and perhaps thyme and or dill.

I also know that a lot of Greek dishes on some islands are heavily spiced with cinnamon*.  I know that I don't like to eat certain dishes on Corfu, because of that heavy cinnamon taste!  It's one of the few spices that I positively dislike to detect in savoury dishes, but adore in sweet ones.

Edited to add:  I have been told that this is the Venetian influence from when they ruled some of the Mediterranean islands.
Cinammon is a spice that is used in certain greek dishes, I put a pinch of it in the meat sauce I make for moussaka.  Not enough to identify as cinammon when you taste it, but enough to make you say "what is that?"

As for the pot of salad herbs my instinct tells me that this is made for tourists.

Joined Jan 5, 2007
I don't think so - the label is in Greek and it was a Corfiot taverna owner who told me what to look for in a local shop!  I don't have any left since my trip there earlier this year, so I can't go to look for the name - but I know it is a Kerkyra product, not a mainland one.

Joined Sep 5, 2008
I did mean herbes de Provence.

:mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa smiley:

:so sue me, sue me, shoot bullets through me smiley:

/img/vbsmilies/smilies/lookaround.gif

:pinche cabron smiley:

BDL
For that, BDL, you'll have to write "herbes de Provence" 25 times on the board, in Spanish, after class. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif

So I don't know about that idea. Ishbel already suggested that, but to me that doesn't sound good at all on a salad. Herbes de Provence is something I used to use all the time for "grillades" (piece of grilled meat): lamb chops, pork chops, chicken etc... - but I can't imagine adding them to a salad. 

I suppose dried oregano, pinched to crumble in between your fingers, is as close as it gets to the answer I was looking for. I think they may be adding one or two other herbs or spices, black pepper is obviously a good idea...

Thanks all for your help!

Joined Sep 5, 2008
Cinammon is a spice that is used in certain greek dishes, I put a pinch of it in the meat sauce I make for moussaka.  Not enough to identify as cinammon when you taste it, but enough to make you say "what is that?"
I'm not a fan of cinnamon, and in fact I avoid it in desserts altogether. There are exceptions, for example speculaas. 

But I love cinnamon when used tastefully as you describe, for example in a lot of north African cuisines... then it doesn't bother me at all. 

Cinnamon never bothered me during my multiple trips to Greece! Loved the food. 

Joined Apr 3, 2008
I'm not a fan of cinnamon, and in fact I avoid it in desserts altogether. There are exceptions, for example speculaas. 

But I love cinnamon when used tastefully as you describe, for example in a lot of north African cuisines... then it doesn't bother me at all. 

Cinnamon never bothered me during my multiple trips to Greece! Loved the food. 
That's funny, most people like it on desserts and not in savoury food.  I love it any way I can get it.

Joined Sep 5, 2008
That's funny, most people like it on desserts and not in savoury food.
I know. I don't get it. Cinnamon on an apple tart? What a waste of a perfectly edible apple tart! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif

Then again I don't really get the whole lamb and mint thing either. Go figure. 

Last edited:
Joined Oct 2, 2010
Like many spices, cinnamon is at its best in a mixture with other spices! Very strange but true.

I often use "garam masala" which contains some cinnamon next to a number of other spices. Garam masala spreads a very refined odor of cinnamon. I use it as a light dry rub with pork (totally delicious) or as an additive in different dishes like stews, particularly in osso buco (the version without tomatoes) and in moussaka. But as always with spices, it's a matter of the right dose; I go for minimal!  

Last edited:
Joined Apr 3, 2008
I know. I don't get it. Cinnamon on an apple tart? What a waste of a perfectly edible apple tart! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/lol.gif

Then again I don't really get the whole lamb and mint thing either. Go figure. 
Me, I can't eat an apple tart if it's not made with cinammon.  I never understood the mint and lamb thing either until I started putting mint in my tzatziki - then it works somehow.  Know what I don't understand at all?  Pork and fruit.  Yuck.  I don't want fruit on my meat unless it's duck, and even then I can do without.

Joined Sep 5, 2008
I don't want fruit on my meat
Wow that leaves a LOT out. The wonderful world of tajines? Hawaiian pineapple fried rice, hawaiian pizza, hawaii toast? Are you ok with raisins in Indian food? 

One of my best meal ever was when a friend of my parents prepared duck magrets roasted in the chimney, accompanied with grapes that he had peeled and seeded (it was the first time in my life I saw peeled and seeded grapes)! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/licklips.gif

Anyway, funny to see how different our tastes are. 

PS: When I was a kid my mum once served us roasted bananas wrapped into a slice of ham. I found it utterly disgusting.

Joined Apr 3, 2008
Wow that leaves a LOT out. The wonderful world of tajines? Hawaiian pineapple fried rice, hawaiian pizza, hawaii toast? Are you ok with raisins in Indian food? 

One of my best meal ever was when a friend of my parents prepared duck magrets roasted in the chimney, accompanied with grapes that he had peeled and seeded (it was the first time in my life I saw peeled and seeded grapes)! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/licklips.gif

Anyway, funny to see how different our tastes are. 

PS: When I was a kid my mum once served us roasted bananas wrapped into a slice of ham. I found it utterly disgusting.
I guess I'm a little odd.  I'm willing to go as far as melon and proscuitto but no further.  Fruit in savoury dishes pushes my limit but I admit it's not something I crave.  I'm not ok with raisins in any food, not even desserts.  They are tolerated in a cinammon/raisin bagel.

I make a nice duck breast with blackberry sauce but I sauce my breast sparingly.

I was at Ikea the other day and I had the swedish meatballs with the lingonberries.  I didn't make a yucky face so that's good lol.

Joined Sep 5, 2008
Originally Posted by Koukouvagia  

I was at Ikea the other day and I had the swedish meatballs with the lingonberries.  I didn't make a yucky face so that's good lol.
Haha I always order the meatballs with lingonberries at IKEA too! :)

Top Bottom