specials specials specials !!!

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by almc00038, Jul 21, 2017.

1. almc00038

almc00038

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    hey everyone looking to see what specials have work for you in the past really well shoot them my way

2. alaminute

alaminute

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Anything risotto lol, throw in some scallops with a clever buerre blanc and it'll sell out every time.

3. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    It might help if you tell us about the type of place you work in so that we can gear answers towards what might or might not work in your place.

4. almc00038

almc00038

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    its semi fine dinning pub downtown Vancouver

5. cheflayne

cheflayne

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    apps or entrees

6. chefwriter

chefwriter

Exp:
    Professional Cook
    I can't offer too many specific ideas, not knowing your specific clientele, price points, etc.
    But being in Vancouver, I'd keep it local with some of the great seafood available.
    A guideline I like is to present the familiar in unfamiliar ways and present the unfamiliar in
    familiar ways. So a geoduck chowder or salad might be interesting.
    Or an ingredient you already have in the inventory made new by presenting it in a different way. Perhaps showcasing an ingredient that is currently used as a supporting item.
    Then there is seasonality. What is growing currently in local farms?
    You could experiment with the fryer and make chips of different starchy products, like sweet potatoes, turnips and the like.
    Ok, I need more coffee. I'll think up more later.

7. cronker

cronker

Exp:
    Restaurant Manager
    With specific dishes, I'll let the real chefs help you out there.
    But something that my former exec chef used to do really, really impressed me.
    She would decide which inventory needed to be "specialed" each day, and she would then task one of the apprentices or a line cook to come up with the dish. The head chef and sous chef would evaluate and perhaps help or give advice, but they never ever designed the special themselves.
    This was a great training for younger cooks and gave them both a sense of being part of the team and understanding how moving inventory works. It also gave the chef team an insight to the way the young chef thought, their passion, skills and weaknesses.
    I, as restaunt manager, would keep a tally of sales of the specials and it became quite competitive and fun!

linecookliz and alaminute like this.
  8. icanburnanythin

icanburnanythin

Exp:
    Can't boil water
    i luv the approach. while i dont do 100% of the specials.. i do several a week.. but head chef doesnt help. it requires me to take my work home and develop something before bringing it in.. i basically develop 1-3 new dishes a week at home and will rotate one/two of my older ones on the menu.. we have a minimum of 4 specials going a shift, so there's always room. plus its just not product going out.. i get the freedom to special order anything.. i rarely use it though... i just scavenge for special order scraps from chef.. i enjoy that..

by years exp i guess im a borderline chef, but i call myself a cook.. i will always call myself a cook.. anyway this approach our chef takes helps with the monotonous monster, that freedom and creation keeps me from leaving.. and by the end of the year i will have a minimum of 52 new dishes in my arsenal..

sorry op.. not trying to hijack the thread..

cronker likes this.