Specials and repetativity

Discussion in 'Professional Chefs' started by cookiekrisp, Jun 2, 2017.

1. cookiekrisp

cookiekrisp

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Just took over at a little 300 seat pub. Been working out years of neglect and staffing challenges.new menu items, fixing old.. working on building systems and getting it in black and white. Customary to run a few specials every night which I am all for but tend to get caught up in the specials when I do and not spending as much time with the staff as Id like to. Thinking about what kind of a schedule of specials might be appropriate at least for the current time while my hands are full. Is it tacky as I suppose to try and have regular specials m-t and save the flare for weekends? what kind of variations have you run with specials? Please share your thoughts.

2. someday

someday

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I think what is appropriate is the amount of specials you can handle while still not compromising the food. You don't really give any specifics on what you do or what your menu is like, or how many specials a night you run...though it sounds like you run more than 1 special each night. 

My advice would be to start small and them ramp up once you get the kitchen under control. If you are running multiple specials per night but the regular menu is suffering (i.e. lack of quality control) then I think the answer is simple. 

3. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I have no problem with weekly repeating specials, and in fact, in many instances it can help drive regular customers.  Knowing that Monday night is Meatloaf night means people know what to expect and will start making that a habit.  Sure, many people like creative specials and like being surprised by the nightly specials, but people also like having some consistency.

In your situation, I would probably come up with a standard list of weekly specials.  Then when you have things under control, I would then introduce other, "off-the-menu" specials, still keeping the weekly specials.  This way you apply to both types of people, and allows you to start a "specials" program right away.

linecookliz and flipflopgirl like this.
  4. chefwriter

chefwriter

Exp:
    Professional Cook
    A "little" 300 seat pub? 

Anyway, Pete brings up a good point. Weekly specials allow for customer planning, not to mention easier planning on your part. 

I would work towards making specials of any kind out of items already in the inventory list  as much as possible to avoid having to increase the inventory just for single menu items.

As Someday pointed out, more information on your menu might help us help you more efficiently. 

5. maglieauxs

maglieauxs

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Highlight menu items that need to be pushed during the week. I print "inserts" on card stock every dinner service highlighting two appetizers and two entrees (or the FOD) Sun-Thurs. Every month I plan out 5 weeks worth of weekend specials. I mostly utilize ingredients and proteins we already have in house but I bring in more unique proteins and off menu sauces to intrigue the customers and to encourage my cooks to increase their culinary knowledge. I print the specials out and present them to the "shift leads" at the first weekly meeting of the month. We discuss the specials at every meeting after that and study the preparation of each. On Thursday of each week I prepare the special and take pictures. I include the pictures in an email with detailed preparation instructions for the cooks and a separate email with pictures and descriptions for the wait staff. 

I hope that sharing my routine helped a little. 

6. cookiekrisp

cookiekrisp

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    Yea , these suggestions are good. Thank you. I just needed to check myself that I wasn't copping out.