Sparkling water

Discussion in 'Food & Cooking' started by katew, Jun 22, 2002.

1. katew

katew

Is there a difference between all the different terms for carbonated water: sparkling water, seltzer, club soda, etc.? Do they have to have (or lack) certain things to be called such, or is it a regional thing like "pop" and "soda"? Just curious :)

2. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    My understanding is that:

Sparkling Water is naturally carbonated; that is, the bubbles come from CO2 that is found naturally in the water, and none needs to be added.

Seltzer is regular water-system water to which only CO2 has been added. Flavored seltzers have CO2 and flavoring agents, but not sodium.

Club Soda is regular water-system water to which CO2 and sodium have been added.

If I'm wrong, please correct me.

3. katew

katew

The Schweppes stuff I have is called club soda, and has nothing added to it. :confused:

4. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    Well, then I guess I'm wrong. What do I know, anyway? I hardly ever drink any of those things (except for the occasional gin-and-tonic, meaning "quinine water" not the way they use the word "tonic" in New England).

5. thebighat

thebighat

I think it's called "soda" here. Pronounced "soder", but that might just be me.

6. katew

katew

Carbonated water is a great way for me to settle my really sensitive digestive system without using medicine. I also drink it regularly as a spritzer type thing with wine or fruit juice. The different types of carbonated water I see just made me wonder what all the difference was. I definitely prefer the kind with nothing added but I've gotten used to kinds that have some sodium. I can't really be picky--sometimes I can't find any kind at all.

7. daveb

daveb

When I was a kid in Brooklyn, "seltzer" came in pressurized bottles with a siphon on top and was delivered to your door by the Seltzer Man.

8. monkeymay

monkeymay

My hubby, a Coney Island Brooklyn boy, raves about those old seltzer bottles. We somehow aquired one along with some CO2 cartidges for cocktails, but things always ended up as that vaudeville routine "slowly I turn, step by step..." with seltzer everywhere. It was pretty cool to have it around when we used it for the use intended:D

Kate W - have you tried bitters with your soda? A really good way to sooth an upset tummy (what I use when I get aggida ).Works everytime for me.:)

9. katew

katew

No--what do you mean, bitters?

10. monkeymay

monkeymay

Angostura bitters- it's that little brown bottle with the yellow cap the bartender usually keeps next to the Worstshire sauce and Tabasco...
    No seriously it's aromatic bitters, which is a combination of water, alcohol and I think gentian -it's great for upset tummies, gas attacks...Add a few dashes to your glass of seltzer (I also add a lemon slice), super refreshing and does the job...
    It's also a flavoring agent in certain cocktails -Champagne cocktail (champagne, bitters and a sugar cube, and a Manhattan (whiskey, sweet vermouth, bitters). I think you also use it in an Old Fashioned.

A friend uses it to use it for her apple pies instead of vanilla -it's got an altogether different flavor profile, sweet and a little spicy...

Hope this helps.

Monkey

11. katew

katew

Interesting. So I can find those in a liquor store?

12. suzanne

suzanne

Exp:
    Food Editor
    You can get bitters in the supermarket! If they carry items like My-Lem, and Mr. & Mrs. T, and other things you add to drinks, they'll probably have bitters in the same area. My market has all that stuff near the soda aisle.

13. katew

katew

Ayup, there it was, next to mixes and clam juice. Has some recipies on it for mixed drinks and also says right on it it's good for upset tummies. Thanks a bunch, I'll try it later on!