Spaghetti Meatballs Questions :P

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by keith grima, Aug 28, 2015.

1. keith grima

keith grima

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Hey guys some question about meatballs!!!

1) Do you soak your bread in milk?

2) Do you simmer them in the sauce or just fry and drop for a few minutes?

3) What type of meat should I use, pork or beef?

4) What cut?

5) Any good tips for flavor?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  2. chefbuba

chefbuba

Exp:
    Retired Chef
    Try this recipe, I have made them several times,  Mama's Meatballs. Rocco's a Douche but the meatball recipe is solid.

casinada and flipflopgirl like this.
  3. brianshaw

brianshaw

Exp:
    Former Chef
    Same answers as above except baking is as good as frying.

4. pete

pete Moderator Staff Member

Exp:
    Professional Chef
    I agree with everything Chefbuba said, and will add; when making meatballs for spaghetti, I often like to use a 50/50 blend of ground beef and hot italian sausage.  I still add parm, onion, and a bit of garlic, along with soaked bread and egg and  a bit more s&p.  I always fry my meatballs first, to get a nice crust, add them to my pot of sauce, and then deglaze the pan, that I fried the meatballs in, with some red wine and add that to the sauce also.  It really adds a lot of flavor to the sauce.

casinada likes this.
  5. cerise

cerise Banned

Exp:
    Other
  6. keith grima

keith grima

Exp:
    Home Cook
    Ok guys thanks for the info made some on Friday with pomodoro sauce and they turned out amazing :)

7. virgil

virgil

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    Lol.....did we have the same teacher?? 

8. mike9

mike9

Exp:
    Former Chef
    A friends Italian momma set me straight on meatballs - when you soak the bread don't squeeze the milk out.  This will yield a more tender end product.  If the mix is too loose I'll add enough bread crumbs to tighten it up for handling.  I give mine a quick sear then drain on a rack.  I drain that pan and build my sauce in it then cook the meatballs in the sauce.  I pull them when the pasta is near el-dente then finish the pasta in the sauce and serve with fried bread crumbs (sawdust) for topping.  My sauce takes 40 minutes tops - haven't had a complaint yet. 

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  9. cerise

cerise Banned

Exp:
    Other
    An oldie, but goodie.

The choice of protein is up to you. There's a place I've heard of that uses wagu beef. Brisket is another of many options.

I mix up my mixture by hand - don't overwork. Roll it into a log, and portion out for even same-size cooking. Then brown in oil for a crust, and simmer in sauce. The seasonings are up to you - your taste. I don't use bread soaked in milk. Too soggy/soft for my taste.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  10. panini

panini

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    I usually use beef, pork and veal. I soak bread, cheese, onions and garlic together. Chill, using wet hands roll them and right into the sauce. You have to shake the sauce pot a little to get them all to submerge. I sometimes use chix stock and powdered milk to soak

11. chefross

chefross

Exp:
    Former Chef
    I hear Rocco's still around. He may be a douche but he's a douche with a heavy bank account.....

12. ericslomski

ericslomski

Exp:
    Owner/Operator
    1) Do you soak your bread in milk? Yes

2) Do you simmer them in the sauce or just fry and drop for a few minutes? Simmer

3) What type of meat should I use, pork or beef? Beef

4) What cut? Chuck

5) Any good tips for flavor? pepper flakes or cajun seasoning can go long way if you like spicy